USB Question

snowman

Reaction score
I'm new to the Droid today, and a usb question, is it the same mini usb as like on the Razor 3, it looks a little different on the wall charger that came with it,
and I didn't want to shove a mini usb standard in there till I ask.
thanks mch

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
so that is why it looks like a different shape?, thanks so all my older chargers and cords won't work? like for razor

R

racklefratz

so that is why it looks like a different shape?, thanks so all my older chargers and cords won't work? like for razor

Some compelling reason why you don't want to use the charger that came with the phone? :confused:

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
I just have a few chargers for all the vehicles that were mini-usb and thought i could use them , I'll just have to buy new Cigarette lighter chargers and such, I wish phone manufactures would just do a standard, every time I buy a phone it's off to buy all new charger cords.
Thanks for the help I appreciate it much

Silver Member
Reaction score
micro USB is now the standard. you will be seeing more and more devices with micro USB from now on.

also, there have been reports of problems wtih aftermarket chargers, so stick to the OEM moto ones.

R

racklefratz

I wish phone manufactures would just do a standard, every time I buy a phone it's off to buy all new charger cords.

Agree 100%. My desk drawers (and everywhere else I stick stuff) are graveyards for all the obsolete cords, charges, etc that accumulate over time.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish phone manufactures would just do a standard, every time I buy a phone it's off to buy all new charger cords.

Agree 100%. My desk drawers (and everywhere else I stick stuff) are graveyards for all the obsolete cords, charges, etc that accumulate over time.

Micro USB IS the new standard. Like I said, all mobile phones will be moving to Micro USB.

Mobile device charger standards

The Micro-USB interface is the new standard charger for mobile phones.As of June 14, 2007, all new mobile phones applying for a license in China are required to use the USB port as a power port.[33][34] This was the first standard to use the convention of shorting D+ and D-.[35]

In September 2007, the Open Mobile Terminal Platform group — a forum of mobile network operators and manufacturers such as Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and LG — announced that its members had agreed on micro-USB as the future common connector for mobile devices.[36][37]

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

zootybang

Reaction score
I plugged my mytouch into my old mini usb charger. It doesn't look like it will fit, but it does, and it works. Use it in the car.

Berzerker

Reaction score
Even though the Droid uses MicroUSB, not all MicroUSB chargers work well with the Droid. For example, I used my roommate's BlueTooth charger that was also MicroUSB, and it charged ok, but after a night of charging the touchscreen would go all wonky and not respond properly to touches, or think that I'm touching in a completely different place than I actually am. A reboot would fix this, but it was quite annoying. So I'm sure to use only MicroUSB cables supplied directly by either Verizon or Motorola.

mbeatle

Reaction score
I use generic USB chargers from Monoprice with my Droid - no issues. The Droid doesn't require the data pins to be active like some phones (iPhone) for "authentication." I think your issue with the touchscreen may be a red herring for the charger.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use generic USB chargers from Monoprice with my Droid - no issues. The Droid doesn't require the data pins to be active like some phones (iPhone) for "authentication." I think your issue with the touchscreen may be a red herring for the charger.
not true. lots of people have been reporting strange behavior with aftermarket chargers/solutions. funny things seem to happen with the capacitive screen that people have related to using those chargers.

stick with the OEM chargers with this phone.

ctsoccer13

Reaction score

Exactly--there's no authentication being done by the chargers. Verify that the charger you're using is outputting 5.1V @ .2A (as the one included with the Droid does) and it should work. It can't be doing much other than filtering noise, rectifying the wall's voltage, and sending it to the phone.

Problems are probably arising from fluctuations in the supplied voltage/current in the cheaper chargers.