USB port output music?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by richelesro, Nov 16, 2009.

1. richelesro

richelesro New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible for there to be a single cable that both charges the phone and outputs the audio signal? I'm thinking of something like the iPod cable which allows for a single plug to do more than just charge the phone. I would think that the two power wires could go to a charger and the two data wires could output the audio, but I don't know if it works that way.

(Thinking of creating a custom cable for the car that charges from the cigarette lighter and also outputs to an aux port.)
  2. Utzz

Utzz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Considering that stereo headphones using a micro USB connection are currently available and the fact that the power/gnd signals are seperate lines from the data, I'd venture a guess that 'yes' you can custom fab up something and it'll work.

I don't know of a company making such a cable...but I haven't kept my ear to the ground for one, either.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Unless the usb port is configured to do that in the software, then no, it won't be possible.

Some of the older Motorola phones came with a usb to 3.5mm headphone adapter plug, the drawback was that the phone could not be charged while using the headphone adapter. I tried using the adapter on my Blackberry once, but no audio came through.

You are probably going to have to use a separate car charger, and a 3.5mm cable to plug into your Aux input on your head unit.
Search tags for this page

laptop change music output to usb