USB port output music?

richelesro

Reaction score
Is it possible for there to be a single cable that both charges the phone and outputs the audio signal? I'm thinking of something like the iPod cable which allows for a single plug to do more than just charge the phone. I would think that the two power wires could go to a charger and the two data wires could output the audio, but I don't know if it works that way.

(Thinking of creating a custom cable for the car that charges from the cigarette lighter and also outputs to an aux port.)

Utzz

Reaction score
Considering that stereo headphones using a micro USB connection are currently available and the fact that the power/gnd signals are seperate lines from the data, I'd venture a guess that 'yes' you can custom fab up something and it'll work.

I don't know of a company making such a cable...but I haven't kept my ear to the ground for one, either.

xliderider

Reaction score
Unless the usb port is configured to do that in the software, then no, it won't be possible.

Some of the older Motorola phones came with a usb to 3.5mm headphone adapter plug, the drawback was that the phone could not be charged while using the headphone adapter. I tried using the adapter on my Blackberry once, but no audio came through.

You are probably going to have to use a separate car charger, and a 3.5mm cable to plug into your Aux input on your head unit.