Usb port can be made active to accept input from perpiherals

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by charlief, Feb 18, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. charlief

charlief New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    USB host mode for Droid - Hack a Day

This link explains how the setup wiring needs to be done. My friend and I added a separate input for an external battery. Doing this has made the device look a little cumbersome, but nonetheless, as the article mentions, the unit does work to some degree.

So far, I have been able to use a usb keyboard (pc only...mac keyboards do not work) to input asc text...no highlighting or other keyboard commands. I have also noted that if a usb flashdrive is inserted, the drive light powers on indicating that the unit is ready for data transfer.

That being said, it would appear that specific drivers need to be written for the device to work as a host...nothing other than the keyboard works now. But the possibilities for this seem rather intriguing especially in light of the very limited internal storage memory for apps.

I will attach a photo for you viewing pleasure in a little while. The cost of the unit you will see is somewhere around $30.00...lower if you can find the usb extender cable on line rather than in radio shack as I did...
  2. charlief

charlief New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the photo

The silver box houses the connections which became rather complex due to the inclusion of the external battery cable.

parts:

1. top left is the dongle which must be inserted in the droid as you power it up
    2. bot left is the standard battery connection(male use connector)
    3. top right is the usb connector you insert after powering up...it serves as the connection to the droid.
    4. bottom right is the part into which you place the device YOU WISH TO CONNECT...

Attached Files:

3. timh2870

timh2870 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to know that it CAN be done! External power is a given, of course, but before I go hacking up my Droid's cable I have a couple of questions. Do you swap white and green from the Droid end to the USB A female end? I can't remember the USB specs, if they're Tx and Rx or data+ and data-. My other question is do I need to add any diodes to keep the Droid from powering a device (at 3.7 volts) if the external power is accidentally disconnected?
  4. timh2870

timh2870 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i tried a few different approaches without destroying a perfectly good usb cable. No luck. You can't simply short the usb data pins, you must ground the ID pin on the micro usb. Found a car charger in a local bargain store for $6, hacked the end off and made my dongle. Usb keyboard works perfectly now. I just hope someone writes a program that can switch modes w/ software.
  5. rayz007

rayz007 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems we are getting closer to an idea I had. A small pocket size game controller for game system emulators. I would think if the keyboard works, then a simple 8 way switch and 4 or so buttons would not be too difficult. Anyone want to be a millionare?
    Make one of those.

rayz007
  6. flameboy

flameboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You could do that with bluetooth. And then it would be wireless :)
Search tags for this page
active usb port android
android - how to input data from usb
android external video input
android usb data input

android usb input

android usb video input
droid bionic micro usb video input
how to do usb port active
micro usb extender radio shack
usb video input android