USB OTG ok, but not with camera

M31

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I have been using an OTG adapter to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (4.2.1) for a long time without problems. I use(d) it to control my Nikon dslr with Helicon Remote app. Two days ago, it just did not connect. The app did not detect any camera. This is what I did to troubleshoot :
- connect camera with the same usb cable (without OTG) to a laptop with dslr software : no problem
- connect a pc mouse to the phone OTG adapter : mouse worked fine on phone
- changed to 3 different OTG adapters : same problem
- factory reset camera : same problem
- factory reset phone and restored all apps : same problem
- factory reset phone without apps, tested to connect OTG and dslr (and waited for a popup question "what app to use") but nothing happened.

I am thinking of buying another phone... Can you think of something else ?

P

promo87

Well, that's weird but tell me one more thing previously are you using some application to access the camera ??? I am sure you may have because you said after factory resetting your device its asking you to choose the application that can open your, do one thing try going to the PlayStore and download the Helicon Remote app again and if its already installed over your device then try going to the application manager> select the Helicon Remote Application and try clearing the cache and the data stored by the application. Then again try connecting the Nikon DLSR with your Nexus and this time when the popup asks for the application select the Helicon Remote App and then try operating the camera I am sure it would start working fine again. :) Let me know if you encounter any further issues.

OP
M

M31

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
... I am sure you may have because you said after factory resetting your device its asking you to choose the application that can open.

Hi promo87, and thank you for looking into this.

No, what I meant was I waited for the phone to ask me what app to use with the connected camera. But the popup question never happen. The 100 % clean (not one app installed) did not detect the camera on the other end of the OTG + USB cable combination (the same cable combination works fine with the same camera and my laptop with "BackyardNikon" software).
The phone USB port works fine with my pc (I can transfer files in both directions). And the phone works fine in every other aspect, except for connecting a camera...

One more thing - the camera detects "something" in the other end, because some camera functions become non-responsive (live view etc) just as it should when connected.

Since last post I have taken the battery out and left the phone for a few hours - nothing changed.

Just a few days before all this happened, the phone used to start Helicon Remote when I connected the camera (because I had set that default) and all worked fine. I did install and try some new apps about during these days, one of them being this :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=infinitegra.trial.usbcamera
That was the first thing I uninstalled. When that did not help, I factory reset (with app restore), then factory reset (without app restore).

Now I am researching what mobile to replace it with...:(

P

promo87

Hi promo87, and thank you for looking into this.

No, what I meant was I waited for the phone to ask me what app to use with the connected camera. But the popup question never happen. The 100 % clean (not one app installed) did not detect the camera on the other end of the OTG + USB cable combination (the same cable combination works fine with the same camera and my laptop with "BackyardNikon" software).
The phone USB port works fine with my pc (I can transfer files in both directions). And the phone works fine in every other aspect, except for connecting a camera...

One more thing - the camera detects "something" in the other end, because some camera functions become non-responsive (live view etc) just as it should when connected.

Since last post I have taken the battery out and left the phone for a few hours - nothing changed.

Just a few days before all this happened, the phone used to start Helicon Remote when I connected the camera (because I had set that default) and all worked fine. I did install and try some new apps about during these days, one of them being this :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=infinitegra.trial.usbcamera
That was the first thing I uninstalled. When that did not help, I factory reset (with app restore), then factory reset (without app restore).

Now I am researching what mobile to replace it with...:(

Aww... that's too weird because even after factory resetting you are experiencing the problem... have you tried doing the same thing over different device?? Do one thing I am sure you must be having one more Android device try installing the may have multiple Android devices, try installing the same app i.e Helicon Remote Application over to that device and try connecting to see if, you are able to use it back as normal ?? :rolleyes: I am sorry but I am still confused about problem you are experiencing ! I think I would have to try this one out myself to deliver you a solution in the mean time, I would say in the mean time try connecting it with the different device. :confused:

OP
M

M31

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Finally...at last...mystery solved !
(scroll down to see solution ;-)

It was the USB cable (not the OTG adapter) !

A few days ago, I must have grabbed a USB cable that I never before had used to connect the dslr with the Nexus via an OTG adapter.
I know - swapping cables should have been the first thing to do when troubleshooting, but I was fooled by this f-ing cable pretending to be ok. Without any problems it :
- Connected the dslr to my stationary pc (without OTG adapter). I could browse the SD card from Wondows Explorer.
- Connected the dslr to my laptop (without OTG adapter). I could control the camera (live view etc) from pc software.
So I will now run the kitchen food processor with that cable. Dont tell my wife...

Thanks for the suggestions !

P

promo87

Finally...at last...mystery solved !
(scroll down to see solution ;-)
It was the USB cable (not the OTG adapter) !

A few days ago, I must have grabbed a USB cable that I never before had used to connect the dslr with the Nexus via an OTG adapter.
I know - swapping cables should have been the first thing to do when troubleshooting, but I was fooled by this f-ing cable pretending to be ok. Without any problems it :
- Connected the dslr to my stationary pc (without OTG adapter). I could browse the SD card from Wondows Explorer.
- Connected the dslr to my laptop (without OTG adapter). I could control the camera (live view etc) from pc software.
So I will now run the kitchen food processor with that cable. Dont tell my wife...

Thanks for the suggestions !

Haa... haaa... this is what I called a ....lol..... we have been going nuts about what actually has happened with your ..... and the problem is just because of the tiny piny ..... :mad: Anyway I am glad that you have sorted your problem out on your own ! ;)

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I have USB cables that work well for charging and even swapping data to a printer, but fail if used to swap data to the phone.
Bag the cable and try a new one, and VOILA! All is right with the world.
Even new cables can also be flaky in their connectors, lift up, it works, press down, it fails..

P

promo87

I have USB cables that work well for charging and even swapping data to a printer, but fail if used to swap data to the phone.
Bag the cable and try a new one, and VOILA! All is right with the world.
Even new cables can also be flaky in their connectors, lift up, it works, press down, it fails..

Well what happens sometime is the connectors inside the cable pin in in different line yup. I am sure that you have seen in Chinese devices, in past they are provided with two cables one for charging the device and other one to connect it with PC, so what the difference previously was the connecting pins inside the head of connector cables. So I would say this might be the reason why you are needed to swap the cables.... and yes sometimes new cables are also flaky.