Usb otg mounting help

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
Ok so I have my setup from my hp touchpad consisting of usb otg cable, y cable, and power sply. I can hook it up to my GN and a wireless keyboard and mouse works fine with it. When I use the app stick mount to mount a thumbdrive in fat32 format it recognizes it but when it says reading it just exits out. The app itself has never asked for root and required it. I try terminal emulator in su to mount -w /dev/usb /sdcard. But I don't get anything. Then I tried mount -t vfat /dev/usb /sdcard then it says block device required.

Anyome with this experience know what I'm doing wrong.

Sent From My Sexy Nexy

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Ok so I have my setup from my hp touchpad consisting of usb otg cable, y cable, and power sply. I can hook it up to my GN and a wireless keyboard and mouse works fine with it. When I use the app stick mount to mount a thumbdrive in fat32 format it recognizes it but when it says reading it just exits out. The app itself has never asked for root and required it. I try terminal emulator in su to mount -w /dev/usb /sdcard. But I don't get anything. Then I tried mount -t vfat /dev/usb /sdcard then it says block device required.

Anyome with this experience know what I'm doing wrong.

For one - you can't mount to /sdcard. /sdcard is already a symlink to /data/media and being used by the system. Your mountpoint needs to be a directory, and it needs to already exist. Stickmount uses /sdcard/usbStorage/[devicenode], IIRC. Try something like that.

/dev/usb doesn't sound like the right device node. Try running dmesg and seeing what lists. From memory, I think it was something like /dev/block/sda1 that came up when I plugged in a USB stick. Wherever it shows up, the device should definitely be that format: sd[ab...][123...], for SCSI Disk (A letter designating which disk) (A number designating which partition on the disk).

OP
bryantjopplin

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
I actually found it like 10 min after I posted it. It is mount /dev/block/platform/omap/musb-omap2430/sda1
But I still can't figure out how to mount to the the sdcard/usb directory I made. Lol

Sent From My Sexy Nexy

Last edited:

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I actually found it like 10 min after I posted this. Do anyone that like to do it via terminal is mount /dev/block/platform/omap/musb-omap2430 /sdcard/(whatever folder you created under sdcard) ie /sdcard/usb/

That device node doesn't sound right... I suppose it is working, but you might have better luck in-general using: /dev/block/sda1

That sda1 device will only exist while the card is connected.

I'm not sure what problems you were having with stickmount. stickmount just runs mount, after all.

OP
bryantjopplin

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
Well stickmount does work I just would like to learn it myself lol. If I plug in my usb I can see the sda1 show up in the omap folder. My other usb wasnt working and it was identical but only sda0 showed up. Dmesg showed my stick in but I think I put i put the mount cmd in wrong.

Sent From My Sexy Nexy

OP
bryantjopplin

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
Would mount -t vfat /dev/block/platform/omap/musb-omap2430 / sdcard/usb. I tried it this way. Now on the touchpad it is /dev/block/sda1

Sent From My Sexy Nexy

OP
bryantjopplin

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
Actually your right lol under properties of the sda1 file in the omap folder it says linked to /dev/block/sda1 it just doesn't show up so I'll try that

Sent From My Sexy Nexy

OP
bryantjopplin

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
Ok after exstensive digging lol finally.
mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/sda1 /sdcard/usb that is it. Just didn't have everything right.

Sent From My Sexy Nexy