USB Mount notification

msheldon

Reaction score
I turned off USB debugging, since it's entirely pointless for me (I run Linux boxes, so ADB is not an option anyway) and I was annoyed by the notification.

Now, whenever I plug the usb in to a computer I get a full-screen notification asking me if I want to mount SD card to the computer. Where the heck did this come from? I've never seen it before. And more to the point, how do I turn it off?

I absolutely despise interfaces that try to "help" me. 99% of the time, it's not helping.

cc2iscool

Reaction score
By default, the USB connection message should not pop up automatically. Usually it sits in the notification area until you press it. I don't see a setting anywhere in the phone's settings menu to turn auto pop-up on or off, so I would assume it might be an application doing it?

mjones73

Reaction score
I believe that's standard with Froyo now. Turn USB debugging back on to suppress it, otherwise it pops up immediately when you plug in USB.

OP
msheldon

msheldon

Reaction score
eh, everything I've seen related to ADB always revolved around windows drivers, etc.

Still don't care about it, if I want a terminal session on my droid, I run a terminal session directly on my droid.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I think the USB debugging notification beats the full-screen mount sdcard dialog. The full-screen thing was a change in Froyo. I'm not sure that there's a way to turn it off, and I'm pretty sure this is global to Froyo builds, and not a Sapphire-specific issue. I'd be happy to be corrected if the facts are otherwise.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Anyway, I think the USB debugging notification beats the full-screen mount sdcard dialog. The full-screen thing was a change in Froyo. I'm not sure that there's a way to turn it off, and I'm pretty sure this is global to Froyo builds, and not a Sapphire-specific issue. I'd be happy to be corrected if the facts are otherwise.
Sounds like you're right. I leave Debugging on because it was enabled by default in CM 6 and I've needed it for tethering.

@OP Okay, how about I make this even more clear -- ADB is a Windows-based Linux terminal emulator. If you want a terminal session on Linux you don't need ADB, just the terminal/terminal emulator native to your Linux distro. You will, however, need to turn debugging back on for it. If you don't like the full-screen popup, turn debugging back on and leave it be. There's always going to be a notification of some kind when you plug your phone into a computer because, SHOCK, 99.99% of the people doing so generally want to do something other than either charge the battery or give their computer a nice new accessory -- like transfer files to and from the SD card, perhaps?. Of course, I'm sure some people still think phones need cords plugged into something to work all the time, but I doubt this is why you plug it in. :)

OP
msheldon

msheldon

Reaction score
There's always going to be a notification of some kind when you plug your phone into a computer because, SHOCK, 99.99% of the people doing so generally want to do something other than either charge the battery or give their computer a nice new accessory -- like transfer files to and from the SD card, perhaps?. Of course, I'm sure some people still think phones need cords plugged into something to work all the time, but I doubt this is why you plug it in. :)

Yes, sometimes I transfer files that way. But 99% of the time, I'm just using my computer as a convenient charging point.

I work in server software, and have for many years. In my (admittedly unusual) world, anything that is not needed all the time should be turned off or outright uninstalled, either for performance, security or potential compatibility issues. It just goes against the grain to have that kind of interface running if it's not needed.

But, looks like this is one of those things I'll just have to learn to ignore. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Habits are hard to break, so I hear ya on that. Leaving it running isn't a bad thing, it's just simply there, and saves you the trouble of turning it on if you need to push a file or uninstall an app or something you need it for.