1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

USB Mass Storage is gone in 4.1.1

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Hacks' started by KaChow, Dec 4, 2012.

1. KaChow

KaChow Guest

I posted something similar to this in another discussion, but thought this should be ripe for this section. The other day, forget which one I took the update 4.1.1. Anyhow as I was getting familiar with upgrade and testing things out. I plugged in my device and noticed, there were only the options of (MTP) and (PTP) the Mass Storage option was gone. I don't know Moto phones all that well yet, but Mass Storage was where everything happened. Is this something that is a concern, aka should I drop it in the toliet and get a replacement, I was looking to root this thing and hope this is not a set-back.

View attachment 58818
  2. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Same on my parents Razr M tonight. Drove me nuts trying to transfer a couple files to the phone. I couldn't get it done and I'm no noob :angry:
  3. djspy

djspy Member

nooooo Google is not turning into Apple... *rolls eyes. If this keeps up i will have no reason to drop Android and head on over to Apple.

I had no reason to root my OG Razr and no reason to root my Maxx HD until now. with JellyBean USB Tethering is NOT allowed any more. It requires a hot spot subscription. I guess i'll be saying hello to the world of rooting again.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. steelman52

steelman52 New Member

Turn on "Developer Options", toggle on "USB Debugging", then mass storage will be available when plugged into PC with USB.
  5. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

^ right. Its just called MTP mode now... transfer files to internal or external cards.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  6. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg New Member

MSC is NOT MTP.
    MSC is NOT PTP.
  7. KaChow

KaChow Guest

Okay, so I was under the impression that USB Mass Storage or Mass Storage was simply gone in JB, afterall that is what happened back with the JB soak that took it away. Then the other day my wife asked me to charge her Droid4, which I plugged it into my computer as I was using it. Needless to say the Verizon message popped up and then I looked at the screen on the Droid4, and it referenced Mass Storage. So I go into USB settings and there sure enough was Mass Storage, I looked at the system version and there it displayed 4.1.2 as it was running the latest version of JB. So, I have to wonder what is going on here? This is a Droid4 and it has Mass Storage, why does my device not have it, considering that it seems to work in 4.1.2, as I'm sure it did in 4.1.1. Have a look at the screenshots, any ideas?
  8. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Has to be a Moto decision...? That'd be my guess. Something about our phones or newer phones in general that they decided MS wasn't ideal.

Sent from my Razr HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  9. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator

Search tags for this page

android 4.1 usb mass storage

android 4.1 usb mode
android 4.1.1 mass storage mode
android 4.1.1 usb

android 4.1.1 usb mass storage

android 4.1.1 usb setting
android 4.1.1 usb storage
android 4.1.2 usb mass storage