USB issue

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I can not seem to find a way to connect my usb thumb drive to my Note 8. It does not seem to be recognized at all. This is possibly a show stopper for me as I take movies on a large flash drive with me when I travel. Any ideas? While trying to troubleshoot this issue I discovered something even more frustrating. Samsung made another galaxy note 8 that was a tablet and there seems to be no way to get google or any other search engine to separate these devices. How could a naming decision be made more poorly!

OK update to this - apparently I can not get the microUSB drive to work with the usb3 adapter as it is not recognized at all. If I take the case off and use the USB3 to regular male USB it will recognize the flash drive and work properly. The issue seems that the new microUSB to USB3 adapter does no work to recognize the device as a drive. Any solutions, thoughts would be appreciated. I have a new USB 3.0 drive coming that has both the USB type A male and microUSB3 (or whatever it is called) so we shall see if that works easily.

Another additional note: I discovered why the original drive did not get recognized at all and it was a user error. I had a couple large files (over 4gb) on it and dumb me formatted that drive in NTFS which Android can't read. I will be sure the new drives is formatted in exFat which will solve those problems anyway.

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I finally got and tested a 256GB SanDisk flash drive with dual USB (USB-A 3.0 and USB-C) The USB-C connector works as expected in the New Note 8. Formatted it is exFAT and found it works flawlessly. Just wish they could make the USB-C connector a bit longer so I didn't have to remove the case to get it to work well. Put a 27GB mp4 movie on it (that took about 15 minutes). Played in full resolution directly from flash drive.Wow nice! Samsung's myFiles app recognizes it as storage.