1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

USB Host native device support questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by prosyshacker, Jun 8, 2010.

1. prosyshacker

prosyshacker New Member

Ok, I get my verizon moto droid into usb host mode, now come the questions:
    1. what devices are supported natively?
    2. has anyone used it with powered devices (don't draw power over usb from droid)?
    3. Has anyone sucessfully hooked up to multiple devices on a hub? on a powered hub?

My searches on the fora haven't gotten me the answers to these questions (or my searches just aren't hitting on this info). Anyone tried anything specific I haven't thought of here?

thx for any help,
    prosyshacker

I:heart:MY:motdroidvert:
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I was under the impression that the Droid couldnt host... Please explain.
  3. prosyshacker

prosyshacker New Member

There is a cable hack currently out there to change the OTG (on the go) USB from client to host which the droid supports, but it only has "client" port. Some one just did a hack that allows the nexus to be switched without the cables. I am a developer and am researching (definite time saving mode) what info is available in the general collective and who has tried anything. I am thinking about something to eliminate the cable hack.

prosyshacker
    I:heart:MY:motdroidvert:
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I suspect it would work with anything that can be compiled into the linux kernel. That's not much to start with, maybe only USB memory sticks (if usb_storage and vfat are compiled in - I think they are). With a custom kernel, you can add support for any device you want at the lower level, anyway.

If you get something working, even simplistically, post results! Once people start seeing it work, the wheels will start turning and stuff will happen. I, for one, would love to see it used as a way to connect an external SD card or USB stick so that I can access photos taken from a real camera.
  5. hayaku

hayaku New Member

have you checked out sven killig's blog about writing the nexus one usb host mode drivers?

Nexus One USB host driver

he has source files there...
  6. Royalcs

Royalcs New Member

anybody tried to load his modules? I cant run a custom kernel (milestone), but maybe a module to support mass storage devices would work. I mean we got the basic functionality of a usb host. only the drivers are missing, right?
  7. 3278

3278 New Member

Yeah, this feature would be pretty pleasant for me. I have a Western Digital external hard disk that's powered entirely by USB [it's a laptop drive, inside] and that's 1TB of Droid-storage if I could just use the Droid in host mode. In a couple of weeks, I'm going to give this a try [the Droid hardware hack to boot into host mode], but a software-only solution would be preferable.

I still don't know if it can handle mass storage, much less 1TB of mass storage, but it's certainly worth a try. Keep your fingers crossed.
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

usb-storage isn't compiled into the default kernel, so it won't work unless you install a kernel that has that module. Also - the droid USB port in host mode is NOT powered, so you need to either use an externally powered hub or a USB drive that has external power.
  9. 3278

3278 New Member

SRSLY? Damn. That's kind of a showstopper for my intended use, which doesn't involve having any source of electricity other than the Droid itself. It's hard enough for me to keep that powered!
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

LOL, and you thought adding more draw on the droid batter would HELP? :p
  11. 3278

3278 New Member

A fair point! Whether I have an extra cable [split cable, really] or not, the power's got to come from somewhere. [Solar panels, in the field.] I guess my major objection is really that it's less elegant, and if that's my problem, I should just wait until I have a phone with USB power, and stop whining that the present isn't future-y enough for me.
  12. modmadmikee

modmadmikee New Member

After successfully completing this hack with my original Motorola Droid, I can say that (unlike the nexus one) the usb port is infact powered! I was able to run my arduino off of it, and plugged in a mouse which surprisingly made a (small) cursor appear which worked. I also tried a flash drive which lit up and showed up in dmesg, but will not mount because usb-storage.ko is not compiled into the kernel. I will try to cross compile an entire 2.6.36.1 kernel for it (which i will simply steal the USB host modules from). I have no idea if it supplies a full 5v/500ma (I doubt it and even if it did it would consume the battery extremely fast) or 5v/100ma (USB's maximum for devices that don't charge such as keyboards).

I will also see if i can compile the FTDI usb-serial module so I can use my Droid to control the Arduino (rather than just powering it) :D
  13. zcar.300

zcar.300 New Member

You mind telling us how you got it to work? I'd like to try connecting a mouse to the Droid.
Search tags for this page
droid 4 rom usb host module
droid bionic usb host modules
droid razr usb host kernel
droid x2 usb host driver

incredible 2 usb host

usb host mode on droid incredible