USB Connecton problem

bwat

Reaction score
I've been searching for anyone else having this same problem and have found similar problems, but none of them are mine.
I can't get the Droid to connect to my PC with USB. Bear with me, this will be a long explanation.
Everytime I connect the Droid, the charging light flickers, and the USB connected on the top of the screen rapidly flashes on and off. I am unable to mount the SD card because the USB notification is constantly flashing and will not let me press it.
I can see the SD card as a drive in my computer, but cannot access it. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled twice, but nothing changed.
This is the weird part; as soon as I begin the shut down process of my computer, the droid makes a connection and I can access the drive for a few seconds until the shut down process logs me out.
Now I know this problem is not with the Droid itself, because it will connect to my PC at work and my wife's Mac.
I'm just hoping someone can help me out to find out what could be conflicting with the phone this much, I'm not sure if I should be looking at conflicting programs, hardware or what.

I am using Win XP SP3
I am connecting directly to a USB port off the board
I have disconnected all other USB devices except the mouse.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

OP
B

bwat

Reaction score
I have still not been able to pinpoint this problem. I just bought a new powered USB hub and plugged the Droid into it thinking maybe there was a power issue, but even with the powered hub it had the same result.
Again, any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
uninstall and reinstall drivers is the best i can come up with.

I've had someone PM me about this, the problem is very strange.

i've recommended changing usb cables, different ports, and reinstall drivers. I guess you guys could do a factory reset, but that's the last alternative obviously.

Droideka

Reaction score
try usb debugging

In settings>Applications>Development there is a setting called USB debugging. Try turning this on before connecting. Your PC may want to install a driver for the Motorola device it found but it may stabilize it or give you other clues as to the problem.

av63691

Reaction score
I have a very similar USB connection problem as BWAT. My moto droid USB connection status message flashes and the droid robotic voice keeps saying "droid, droid, droid" over and over. I've ready every post I can regarding dismounting/mounting the SD card but both my PCs do not recognize the droid SD card. I've enabled and disabled USB debugging and same problem.

I have the same problem with the HTC Eris. I'll keep trying until I figure out what causes this.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 and connecting directly to my XPS720 USB ports.
Same issue on Win XP SP3 Toshiba Satellite.

av63691

Reaction score
Thanks Phone. I had already downloaded the latest Motorola Droid drivers. This was not the problem for me.

I resolved the problem doing the following:
1. I purchased a SD micro card reader and removed the SD micro card from my Droid
2. I verified I could read the SD micro-card on my PC using Windows Explorer. I was successfully able to read the card.
3. I re-formated the SD micro-card using Windows XP. Click on start, my computer, right click, select manage, go to storage and then disk management. I located the SD micro drive and reformatted. It was forced to FAT32 due to size of my 16GB sd-card.
4. I copied over some jpeg and mp3 files to the SD card.
5. Reinstalled the SD micro-card into my Droid. Rebooted the droid.
6. Looked at my Gallery and Music apps and verified I could see my jpeg files and played my mp3 files. Everything worked.
7. I then connected the droid via USB cable. The droid continued to flash the USB connection status several times and finally stopped.
8. I was then able to mount the droid sd-card.
9. I was able to open up my sd-card in Windows explorer.

I think the key was to use my PC to format the SD micro-card. I don't know what OS and conditions are being used to format the card in the droid itself.

Now off to my wife's HTC Eris. I will do the same and I suspect this will work also.

Silver Member
Reaction score
USB 1.1 vs. 2.0. Are you SURE you're using a USB 2.0 port?

If you're using a hub, STOP and use the PC's USB port.

If you're using the front USB port, STOP and try the rear.

av63691

Reaction score
Resolved the HTC Eris USB connection problem as well.

640K - yes I'm using USB 2.0 port. This is not the issue. After I re-formatted the sd micro card all USB ports work.

I followed the same steps to correct the HTC Eris problem.

1. I purchased a SD micro card reader and removed the SD micro card from my Droid
2. I verified I could read the SD micro-card on my PC using Windows Explorer. I was successfully able to read the card.
3. I backed up contents of the SD micro-card to a folder on my pc.
4. I re-formated the SD micro-card using Windows XP. Click on start, my computer, right click, select manage, go to storage and then disk management. I located the SD micro drive and reformatted. It was forced to FAT32 due to size of my 16GB sd-card.
4. I copied over the backed up contents saved on the PC to the sd micro card.
5. Reinstalled the SD micro-card into the Eris. Rebooted the Eris.
6. Looked at the contents of the sd micro-card. Everything was there.
7. I then connected the Eris via USB cable. It took a few seconds to connect.
8. I was then able to mount the Eris sd-card.
9. I was able to open up my sd-card in Windows explorer.

I think the key was to use my PC to format the SD micro-card. I don't know what OS and conditions are being used to format the card in the eris itself.

bigbear71

Reaction score
USB Access

you can't go into notifactions and select mount usb?? that's how I did it....