USB cable connect initiates Droid X reboot

bryanc1

Reaction score
I've been reading through some of the threads here and didn't really find anything that addresses this directly, so I elected to create a thread with the hopes of some sort of solution. If there IS a thread that addresses, I sincerely apologize.

Now, on to the fun... (sarcasm)

When I plug my Droid X into two different laptops (work and home), my Droid initiates a restart. I think that there could be two causes of this. Either the phone having been set to "USB Mass Storage" mode and then changed to "Charge Only" prior to disconnection and then subsequently reconnection (when the reboot occurs). I have lost data after "pulling the cable" while in "USB Mass Storage" mode, so I try to do a graceful disconnect by changing modes, which looks like causes another issue. I'm not entirely sure on this, I'm just postulating at this point.

The other potential cause that I've noticed is when I use the USB cable that's included in the Droid's packaging. The one with the green "ecomoto" tag on it. When I've plugged this in, my DroidX has rebooted.

Again, I can't say for certain whether this is a cable or setting issue.

I have read on some threads that deal with random reboots of the DroidX and had discovered some users had changed their notification sounds to something other than the default Droid sounds. So I made sure my phone was using a default notification, only to have another reboot occur.

Finally, I have downloaded and tried to run some "log capture" apps that will allow me to go back and review what happened right before the reboot/crash and only see the data after the reboot (which makes sense considering the app wasn't running prior and most logs are probably purged after reboot).

Does anyone 1) know of a solution and 2) a good crash reporting app or log that I can run in the background to record everything that's happening in the background, to discover a possible cause of these seemingly random reboots?
Thank you in advance.
B

Moos

Reaction score
I am having this problem as well. I have a cardock which runs an aftermarket USB cord from my dock to the back of my car stereo. I noticed after I updated to 2.3.340, about everytime i put my phone in my cardock it will reboot. I have isolated that it's the USB issue by unplugging the usb to car stereo connection and plugging in the normal car charger. I do not know of any fixes right now and would also be curious what other's say.

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
Another potential clue here. I've had the USB cable plugged in all morning (and in charge only mode), until I went to save something to my phone. When I selected "USB Mass Storage" mode. It rebooted.

I'm really tempted to say it may be a cable problem we're having, but it could just as easily be that same issue that someone described with regards to using non-default notification sounds (although I changed mine back TO a default notification sound, even though I don't even have my sounds on and keep it on vibrate to keep from waking my son).

I hope someone can determine the issue and/or help identify a tool (like a crash log reporter app) to find where the issue is happening.

Moos

Reaction score
The non default sound issue interests me. I am using an aftermarket sound for my sms notifications, I notice that when I plug in my phone and i get the usb connected sound (which is the same as my sms notification) things dont seem to operated properly. But if I plug it in and get a different sound (not sure what it is) then everything works properly. i'm going to change my back to default tones and see what happens. i'll post back.

Moos

Reaction score
Ok, I have changed all my sound/notifications back to normal and it still resets everytime i place it in my cardock. Did anyone have this problem Before 2.3.340? Mine worked fine till the update, i'm not sure if this is coincidence or not.

rcenker

Reaction score
I'm new to the Android OS (had BB before). I purchased my X three weeks ago. Up until the .340 update there was NEVER a reboot when plugging into my computer USB. As part of the .340 update, there WAS the introduction of the VCast Media manager. Not sure whether that has anything to do with it. But now, I get a reboot when I insert the USB cable... no other changes... no new sounds, no new apps, just the .340 update.. It would seem to me that the .340 update has an issue??? Can anyone concur?