US S5 Lollipop Officially Released

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Verizon's S5 was the first to receive an update to 4.4.4 in the U.S. and now it's the first to receive an update to 5.0 in the U.S.

I'm glad to see that Verizon's horribly slow update process is continuing to improve.

loco

Reaction score
I received 2 small updates, but they are not lollipop. They say they are updates to prepare my S5 for lollipop.

I'm assuming I will get another OTA later in the week sometime which will be the real thing.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I received 2 small updates, but they are not lollipop. They say they are updates to prepare my S5 for lollipop.

I'm assuming I will get another OTA later in the week sometime which will be the real thing.
Did you try manually checking again after those updates? From everything I've read, it's pretty much available to everyone.

Strange that you got two updates that only said they were preparing for the Lollipop when it's taking others 2 updates to get Lollipop.

Did you verify your android version number?

loco

Reaction score
Did you try manually checking again after those updates? From everything I've read, it's pretty much available to everyone.

Strange that you got two updates that only said they were preparing for the Lollipop when it's taking others 2 updates to get Lollipop.

Did you verify your android version number?

Good looking out my friend. That did the trick. Downloading now.......

loco

Reaction score
The update went well. So far I like the look of lollipop. Battery seems fine, no overheating etc....

However (isn't there always a however), I keep getting a google services error along with a popup in my notification panel that says "an application requires an......" and I cant read the rest of the message.

Not sure what to do, or how to know what application needs help. LOL

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The update went well. So far I like the look of lollipop. Battery seems fine, no overheating etc....

However (isn't there always a however), I keep getting a google services error along with a popup in my notification panel that says "an application requires an......" and I cant read the rest of the message.

Not sure what to do, or how to know what application needs help. LOL
Nothing happens when you tap the notification? That's usually something asking for access to Google play services & tapping it usually beyond you to pay services in the play store to download or update. Might be an updated version now that you're on lollipop.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

loco

Reaction score
When I tap on the notification, it opens up the Google Play Services app. My options are uninstall and disable. When I click on disable, it does nothing.

Hmmmmm.

loco

Reaction score
Also, my lock screen has a weather bar on it that I'm not crazy about. This is going to take a little getting used to. But I like the new look and feel in contacts, the new swipe effects and overall, it seems pretty snappy fast.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hoping you have an easy time adjusting. My future mother-in-law got the s5 as her first smartphone ever, so I'm hoping the transition isn't bad when she gets back from Mexico & gets the update. Haha

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

loco

Reaction score
Ok, I figured out the Google Play Services error. I hope this will help the next person having the same issue.....

I did a simple battery pull for about 5 minutes. Put the battery back in, turned the phone on and then I received a message about updating Google Play Services. I hit ok, it did a quick update and so far, I have not received the message again.

Now if I can just get this weather widget off my lockscreen.....LOL

Reactions: cr6

newmanx4

Reaction score
You can also clear the cache for Google Play Store and Google Play Services. Reboot then follow the prompt to update again.