US LTE network is lacking

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The ones I know are for land based communications to the Federal Reserve. Maybe Wireless spectrum is cheaper but I can't see that.

I'd love to have 4G, or even 3G in the Adirondacks. Even for just emergency purposes.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The ones I know are for land based communications to the Federal Reserve. Maybe Wireless spectrum is cheaper but I can't see that.

I'd love to have 4G, or even 3G in the Adirondacks. Even for just emergency purposes.

I just did some reading. There are fiber optics on every tower as well that run down to the base of it.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It isn't just the cost of erecting a tower or any cable. They pay really big bucks monthly to the leaseholder/landowner, (several thousand a month). That's one of the reasons the school properties are trying to get towers. At least around here.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to wager that Verizon alone pulls over ten billion dollars a month for their service.

LOL, how much would you like to bet? If you're talking operating income, you're only off about 400%.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Mobile towers don't cost anywhere near 50k for up keep.unless there is inclement weather or some other damage...the superstructures can be up to 4 mill just for the masts and structure.(to build)..but on average they're considerably less...and vzw doesn't own many towers any more..if its a big tower they need..they lease...and make your life miserable if you have anything to do with the tower..

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Ummm, you do realize they have expenses, too? And you're looking at all of VZW, not wireless.
Okay if you want wireless only. And yes I understand revenue, net and gross income.

452f4d9ac7a108872b52d4916aac3c3f.jpg

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
LOL, how much would you like to bet? If you're talking operating income, you're only off about 400%.

I wasn't far off. We are talking about billions. I understand smaller MVNOs not being able to purchase spectrum to get out of the MVNO stage of service, but the top two providers are making far more money and still have dead zones.

How is it that Sprint can plan to drop 70,000 cells in the next two years and they don't make nearly as much?

I understand economics. I get that somewhere out there in North Dakota it might not be lucrative to plant a tower. It's still not an excuse to gouge customers for monthly service and then to not have 100% coverage everywhere.

The size of our country is not a relevant argument vs other countries when our carriers are making far more money than a smaller country's carrier.

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I think LTE has a long way to go especially for volte which has many issues and always sounds staticy and drops when in 3g instead of downshifting to 1g

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The size of our country is not a relevant argument vs other countries when our carriers are making far more money than a smaller country's carrier.
Actually it is, being that our carrier's have millions more customers than carriers in most of these smaller countries. Basic economics really.
Now, that's not to say our carrier's don't price gouge and/or nickel & dime us to death for every little thing, but on the same token, we (on a whole) put up with it, so the carrier's know they can get away with it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think LTE has a long way to go especially for volte which has many issues and always sounds staticy and drops when in 3g instead of downshifting to 1g

By definition, VoLTE has to drop when you move to a 3G area, since 3G is not LTE. It's like starting a call on a home phone... then unplugging the cord....thrn plugging it in again and expecting the phone call to continue.... It just can't

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Financial Statements for Verizon Communications Inc. - Google Finance
Verizon doesn't always make profit.

Also on the subject of cell towers. There are two kinds, rooftop and ground. One is you build a an antenna on the roof of the building like they do in most of Europe, the other is you build an antenna tower from ground up like they do in USA which costs A LOT more.

All towers worth anything have fiber optics running to/from them. Running fiber in rural USA is very expensive compared to urban European environment where they have all the sewage/masts already erect.

All the info is out there on the net, you can Google what ever you want to know. So before people start accusing Verizon for robbing people blind, do some research.