US DOJ Says Apple's Court Opposition is a 'Diversion,' and the Fear is 'Overblown'; Apple Responds

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, Im all FOR privacy, but NOT when it comes down to the lives of others. If the information on that phone had the potential to save thousands of lives, then YES, it should be unlocked, of course! If you believe that the information on that phone should stay lost forever, then theres a high chance that another terrorist attack or other serious crime could have been prevented, but you DIDNT want it stopped (even though you knew there was a chance you could have stopped it).

Why would you want to toss away innocent lives because you believed TOO strongly in privacy to take it to extraordinary extremes? Thats just dumb thinking. Privacy should be enforced, I have no objection to that, but there comes a point where that has to be overridden for the bigger benefit. Dont be selfish and try to make ALL information private permanently. In this case, yes, the information SHOULD be unlocked so that future potential criminal activity has the possibility to be prevented. Something is more than nothing.
If you honestly believe the FBI hasn't already accessed that device, you're as naive as anyone else wanting them to unlock the device. It's not about just this device, it's about the FBI having an easy backdoor access to virtually any device they see fit, with or without a warrant.

Please, do more research. There is so much that I feel like you haven't read, or aren't willing to read.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Does anyone have a link regarding the government wanting a permanent backdoor baked into software?

This is not what they are asking for with this phone.

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
You do understand, that if the FBI already had access to the phones data, this whole court case wouldn't have happened. They wouldn't need Apple at all. If they have a warrant, this is a null issue. Without a warrant, that could be complicated, and touchy, sure I agree on that. But what your trying to tell me, is that nobody should ever have any access to your personal data, ever, warrant or not. I have yet to see you agree that obtaining the information on the phone would be beneficial in any way, which it would be.

There are people on both sides of fence on this one. You just happen to be on the side opposite me. We are never going to see eye to eye. Both sides have very valid points, so neither one of us can go pointing the finger at ourselves saying WE are 100% right. You have the right to your opinion, and Im not going to change it. Same with mine. All arguments have two sides. Agree to disagree. In the end, we both are equally correct.

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Does anyone have a link regarding the government wanting a permanent backdoor baked into software?

This is not what they are asking for with this phone.

From what Ive read, your right, that is NOT what they asked for. They just asked for THIS phone to be unlocked. They have done this before, and STILL, peoples iPhones are securely locked (like this one), so obviously there is no "secret key" to unlock them all. Thats just paranoia setting in. Conspiracy theorists flock to this kind of thing, its kind of entertaining to watch.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
What they are asking for with this phone is not a bypass of the encryption.

Upon entering an incorrect pin code from the lock screen there is a mandatory pause that is coded into the lock screen that makes you wait (a fraction of perceivable time) before entering the next pin code. That encoded pause is what the FBI would like to have removed.

This cannot be undone on the iPhones newer than this one so it would be moot for them to even consider asking for an iPhone-wide bypass. It is impossible. It doesn't work that way anymore.

They want it so that they can increase the amount of attempts made per second.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Personally I feel that we have a legal system in place and it will decide in the end the answer to this dilemma. I don't feel my personal opinion matters in this debate as all that matters is law. If the law applies in this case then that will be decided by a court and any follow up appeals. In the end, one way or the other, we'll have an answer.

However, from almost EVERY legal analysis I have read the FBI doesn't have a leg to stand on. The laws they are using are/were not meant for this case and the FBI/DOJ are trying to make law thru courts. That said, even if the above is false and the law is clear. I still believe Apple, or anyone for that matter, should exhaust all their legal options before complying with anything they feel unjust regardless of popular opinion . That is the way our legal system works, for better or worse.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The best view on the case I've seen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I got lost for about 3 minutes , from laughing , at how accurately he described rose gold then when he described Lindsey Grahams reversal of stance I got lost again in laughter.
At some point I hope the issue of why encryption needs to be ever changing and why entities need access to it for the common good will be addressed. When all this stuff first opened up after 911 I was paranoid of misuse by government entities (we often forget the United States is not the center of an otherwise vacant universe) here but even if our government isn't the misuser those not so friendly to us could use this not only against their own citizens but expand on it to steal secrets we really don't want them having . I'm not worried about China gaining access to my fishing photos and videos of my daughter's dance recital but my bank accounts and work information I'm not real fond of sharing, with or without my permission.
As said before this is an issue with possibly much larger than 1 dead terrorists information that's on their work phone.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Reactions: cr6

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I got lost for about 3 minutes , from laughing , at how accurately he described rose gold then when he described Lindsey Grahams reversal of stance I got lost again in laughter.
At some point I hope the issue of why encryption needs to be ever changing and why entities need access to it for the common good will be addressed. When all this stuff first opened up after 911 I was paranoid of misuse by government entities (we often forget the United States is not the center of an otherwise vacant universe) here but even if our government isn't the misuser those not so friendly to us could use this not only against their own citizens but expand on it to steal secrets we really don't want them having . I'm not worried about China gaining access to my fishing photos and videos of my daughter's dance recital but my bank accounts and work information I'm not real fond of sharing, with or without my permission.
As said before this is an issue with possibly much larger than 1 dead terrorists information that's on their work phone.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I did too. That's every video of his. I even know conservatives who die laughing at some of his vids. Also that clip at the end of the engineers melting down is literally what I do on a daily basis.

In all seriousness, the best points were raised here. It's not about complying it is the implications of complying. If technology worked differently and in our perfect world we could just unlock this one iPhone...sure, but that is not possible so we have to consider the consequences. I think Oliver's best point is the fact that even if they do unlock the iPhone then the bad guys will just use something else like the apps with end-to-end encryption or use apps outside the US jurisdiction. So it's not really helping.

I'll reiterate my position. I'm not for anyone on this case because the FBI didn't do anything wrong for the request and Apple didn't for challenging it on account of undue burden. I'm glad it's being discussed and this might make the next candidate more important when it comes to moving forward in our industry.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk