1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

US Army Using Android Devices Now

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Nov 1, 2010.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Stories like these make it clear what Android can really do. It seems the US Army have realized the power of Android and are now using it because of its open source roots. They are getting a few Android devices for missions in low connectivity areas. Now if I was to think about why they would use Android devices for the military, here is what I would say:

1) They need good GPS to get free navigation to their check points.
    2) They want to be able to talk to their phones while taking fire instead of trying to type in stuff… this way their hands are free.
    3) They don’t want to have a static black background that never changes in a homescreen of app icons; rather they want a moving American flag on their background with live weather on Sense UI.
    4) Flash is important to some of their missions and they most have it to perform correctly.
    5) They need a bigger screen with a keyboard… So they try less when they are sending code words.

Now that is what I think they have in mind when going with Android, well that and of course it’s open source.
    Here is a quote from the source:

I guess the title the original source used, “Real men use Android” is very true… With the expectations that women are in the military too.

News via: HardOCP
    Spread the word... Android is for real men :)
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

Haven't been to hardforum in some time didn't know they cared about mobile computing. Thus is still good news though. Hooray for android! :)
  3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I read the story, went back to read it again, it was gone, just black where the text was

wified from a monolith using a slider
  4. droidbionic

droidbionic New Member

Droid + Army = Strong People
  5. *22899

*22899 Premium Member Premium Member

Yes! This is awesome to read!
  6. gh0ul

gh0ul New Member

Thank goodness, I was getting sick of using Windows Mobile on Marine Equipment...
  7. pinballwizard

pinballwizard New Member

I think you mean it equals dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid
  8. fth

fth New Member

G.I Droid !!!!! -F.T.H-
  9. Hot Sauce

Hot Sauce New Member

I dont know about this... Any Soldiers out there wanna chime in? Google maps for navigation?? not gonna happen, civilian gps is made to have errors (location, altitude, etc..) built in. Texting for fire support?? GTFO. Android OS for control systems, Plausible. As an aside, I'd kick my battle buddies a$$ if he were busy playing Angry Birds on his Combat Droid while were taking fire.

Hot Sauce
    The Citadel 2002
  10. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

Hahahaha,
    THat made me laugh.
    No, I wasn't actually being serious with that list... It was made as a joke. But I am sure I would do the same if someone said "Oh on... can you watch my back for me... I am on the last level of Angry birds". Lol
  11. azules9780

azules9780 New Member

Wow I posted this months ago with a link to a much more in-depth look at it and I was blown off as freakin' retard and with people saying there is no application for android on the battlefield. At least there was one guy told me to keep posting anything I thought was news worthy.

By the way, there are many ways this could be useful and how it could be adapted to work within the Army's current system.
  12. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Though I no longer am in the Marine Corps, I can see Android technology being used in certain communication equipment. But I can guarantee you they will not be using a Droid X from Verizon to send encrypted messages back to HQ or a MAGTF. If anything, they will use the technology already created and implement it in their own devices. Google looks to be getting some major gov't contracts over the next few years so I would not doubt it will be used in some form.
  13. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I want to see a video of a sniper using an Android phone to set his elevation and error correction and take out an iPhone at 1000 yards.
  14. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ha, hell yea!
  15. Squadalah_man

Squadalah_man New Member

mountain view, callifornia (home of google and the
    Well if you have a case, a solar charger and the survival app then u are good to go.

Squadala we are off!
  16. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

The only reason I can think of for the Army using Android is to be able to combat SkyNet when it goes live in 2012. This way they will have their own army of Androids to fight off the first generation Terminators.
  17. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

:rofl3::rofl3:

Get ready.... :painkiller:

+1
  18. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

we need a "like" b utton on this forum! lol
  19. azules9780

azules9780 New Member

Yeah my cousin just called me from GA. She works for Georgia Military College and they are moving to android products as their "company" phones as well. Her 1st question was "How do I make this thing give my laptop internet?" LOL
  20. Abby Normal

Abby Normal Member

I used to work as a civilian for the Army on their networks and they drove me crazy with all the little old dos programs they had for doing the things they needed.. Making dos work with the modern software was constantly a big burr under my saddle...

So I could see why the Army would jump at the chance of open source phones, each section could have their own apps to retrieve the info they need and never have to worry about compatibility again.....

That was the best possible thing that could happen to the Army......