Urgent, HELP! Questions about charging my OG Droid abroad?

dodgerbulls

Reaction score
I just found out that I will be abroad within the week. I would like to bring my phone (US) and my question is will I be able to charge my phone through the wall outlet in Hong Kong and the Philippines?

I have pretty much the stock Droid 1 and its stock accessories. I really would like to bring it, but I am not sure if it will work if I plan to charge it using the countries respectively outlets. For some reason, I couldn't find any information about the phone's voltage from the papers that are included from the packaging.

Also, can someone clear up to me how I should set up my phone so I won't get hit by roaming charges. I think in the Philippines, they use GSM and from what I understand, I can't use the Droid 1 over there unless i'm using WiFi. I have no clue about the one in Hong Kong so if it is not too much of a hassle, I seek your advise. Also, i'm only planning to use my phone for apps and WiFi browsing.

If there are already threads for my questions, feel free to move it. I just don't have to look for the answers as I am too busy packing and handling my bills as the departure date is right around the corner, I apologize.

EDIT: Roaming question has already been answered.

Voltage questions though still stands.

Last edited:

projektorboy

Reaction score
To ensure that your phone is not going to be trying to look for any mobile networks, do this:

1. Go to Settings > Wireless & Networks
2. Turn on Airplane Mode
3. Turn on Wifi.
4. Now the phone will ONLY have its wifi radio working.

As for charging your phone, their electrical outlets will not be compatible in any way. You may want to check a Radio Shack/Best Buy/Fry's Electronics for a converter unit. At worst case if you're bringing a laptop you can just use the USB ports on the laptop for charging. At least USB ports genuinely are universal worldwide.

OP
D

dodgerbulls

Reaction score
To ensure that your phone is not going to be trying to look for any mobile networks, do this:

1. Go to Settings > Wireless & Networks
2. Turn on Airplane Mode
3. Turn on Wifi.
4. Now the phone will ONLY have its wifi radio working.

As for charging your phone, their electrical outlets will not be compatible in any way. You may want to check a Radio Shack/Best Buy/Fry's Electronics for a converter unit. At worst case if you're bringing a laptop you can just use the USB ports on the laptop for charging. At least USB ports genuinely are universal worldwide.

Thanks for the tip, but I will not bring my laptop. I've checked the outlets and for the Philippines, they have the same outlets here in the US, it is just the voltage I'm not sure of. In Hong Kong however, I found out that they use a different one so I would have to buy a converter for it.

So for the others, my question still stands for the voltage issues.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums