Upgrading to SPRecovery 0.99.2b

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xtremeIX, Feb 10, 2010.

1. xtremeIX

xtremeIX New Member

How do I go about upgrading to SPRecovery 0.99.2b. Right now I'm running SPRecovery 0.99.1b and to overclock I'm reading from this article I need to have at least the SPRecovery 0.99.2b installed.
  2. xtremeIX

xtremeIX New Member

I was able to install the SPRecovery 0.99.2b and overclock my Motorola Droid to 900mhz. I definitely notice the difference in speed but, I notice my WiFi connection no longer works and I've read this sometimes occurs. Is there an update or a different flash_image file I need to install?
  3. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

To overclock, you have to install a new kernel (you did this part already when you ran flash_image). When you install a new kernel, you also need to install the modules to go with it (device drivers). Go back to wherever you got the kernel from and download the driver you need (tiwlan_drv.ko) and manually install it. There are lots of different copies of that driver floating around - it's important that you get the one that goes with the kernel you are using.
  4. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

5. Shmooze

Shmooze New Member

sholes.info has a SM updater for you to use. Easy install no PC required.
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Same way you put 0.99.1b on, except with the recovery image that is version 0.99.2b (or 3b, since that is the newest)
  7. xtremeIX

xtremeIX New Member

I tried that and it didn't work. I have DroidRootHelper v8.0 installed and in the Tools folder on my sdcard the image file was 0.99.1b. I took that file and replaced it with 0.99.2b and then ran through the DroidRootHelper again and when I booted into recovery it still states that it's the 0.99.1b.

Although not a good idea I then went on to install the overclocking anyways by replacing the files in the nandroid backup with the files I downloaded (boot.img and Nandroid.md5) and it worked. I used a benchmark app to verify it was overclocked. However, now my wi-fi doesn't work and the brightness on my display is not working. I tried installing the modules manually using the Linda Pro File manager but, it says the folder sdcard/system/lib/modules is read-only. I see the SuperUser permission icon so I'm a little lost as to why I can't write to that folder. However, I can tell you when I open a Terminal Emulator and type SU I receive an "Permission denied" error. So I'm not sure why I have the SuperUser permission icon but, get the permission denied error. *Sigh*
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  8. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    You can follow instructions in my signature and just to the SPR part. Should be steps 12-21
  9. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

delete the original 0.99.1b rename the file from 0.99.2b(or 0.99.3b, which i just did) to 0.99.1b. Then do it again, remember to mount and change location of recovery on DRH
  10. xtremeIX

xtremeIX New Member

I followed your instructions located here on rooting my droid but, with a difference. Since I already had SPRecovery installed (ver. 0.99.1b) I had to use it to install the 'update.zip' file. So, I took the update.zip and put it in the root of my phone, rebooted into SPRecovery, and then went to 'Install' on the menu and clicked the update.zip file which ran through the installation. I noticed it says, "Install update.zip (deprecated)" so I'm a little unsure if that affects anything. Then I rebooted the phone and noticed I have the SuperUser Permissions Ninja but, when I got to step 14 I receive the message that says, "Permissions Denied." Any ideas?
  11. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Post your question over there, but you're definitely skipping something. For one, the guide tells you exactly how you have to install the update.zip. Make sure you hit "allow update.zip " before you installed it using the deprecated. Also did you type SU etc.
  12. xtremeIX

xtremeIX New Member

In the SPRecovery it doesn't ask me whether I want to allow it (the update.zip install) or not, it just installs it. I've gone through the process three times to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Here is what happens:

In system recovery it says Patched by SirPshychoS (0.99.1b). From the menu I select 'install'
    Once selected I go to another menu that has the following in the menu:

Install /sdcard/update.tar as ROM
    Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
    Choose ROM from SD card

From there I select Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated) and then text comes up that says:

-- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    Rooting your phone...

Install from sdcard complete.

Towards the bottom of the screen there is a progress bar that slowly progresses but, it never finishes...doesn't even get half way. If I run the package three times the progress bar moves a little more every time the package is run. Not sure if this is a visual glitch or not; I think I may need to try installing SPRecovery again but, how do I go about that?
  13. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Also located in the instructions in my signature. Do yourself a favor and just start from scratch. Stop at step 34 or whatever before you backup.
  14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

When the first step doesn't work, why would you keep going? Get recovery version 0.99.2b or higher installed.

Don't worry about the "deprecated" line. I can only assume that is a not-so-subtle attempt to get ROM developers to stop using the update.zip format in favor of the rom.tgz format. Same with the need to enable installation.

The progress bar is a little hokey. If it says it finished, it finished, even if the bar doesn't show it.
  15. xtremeIX

xtremeIX New Member

I can't install the 0.99.2b without SuperUser Permission but, I can't get SuperUser Permission possibly because of my SPRecovery having a problem so I'm going to go back to stock and start over.
  16. xtremeIX

xtremeIX New Member

Restored my Droid and followed your directions; EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY!! THANK YOU FOR THE WRITE UP!!
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Good, so glad.. :)
Search tags for this page
download sprecovery v0.99.2b
motorola droid sprecovery 0.99.3b.zip
recovery-0.99.3b.img

sprecovery 0.99.2b

sprecovery v0.99.2b download