Upgrading to a droid 3

xthek1ng

Reaction score
And I wanna know if it's a good move. I really do love the keyboard, and I feel like its a solid phone. I've heard mixed reviews about battery life/bloatware, but I plan on rooting it anyway. Is it a good phone? Any helpful information to help me with a decision? Thanks :)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I own a D3. It is a great phone. If you don't care about 4g and need the keyboard this is the phone for you.

Reasonable use for me is in the neighborhood of 14-16 hours on a charge. Almost twice as long as my D1.

Other keyboard option is the Samsung Stratosphere.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

OP
X

xthek1ng

Reaction score
Yeah I really dont care about the 4G.

Are you rooted on your D3? Does it make a difference in the battery life? Also, I have a D2G running Gingerbread and there is a lot of problems (Freezing, crashing, etc.). HOw well does the D3 handle GB?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that you have a D2G. A relative has had one for quite a while. What a fiasco!

The D3 is the opposite of the D2G. Stable. I use the extended battery and I have no worries--highly recommended.

Only complaints:
- a few bits of dust and/or sorta dead pixels on my screen. Only noticeable when the screen is black, easily ignored.
- physical keyboard seems to miss a letter here and there...maybe it's because I'm drunk

It is a great phone. I wonder when the Droid 4G is coming out. Do you really need a physical keyboard? I do, but you might consider the Droid RAZR or new Nexus.

Graymayre

Reaction score
Yeah I really dont care about the 4G.

Are you rooted on your D3? Does it make a difference in the battery life? Also, I have a D2G running Gingerbread and there is a lot of problems (Freezing, crashing, etc.). HOw well does the D3 handle GB?

If you experienced the 4G then you wont feel that way. I loved my D2G but I wanted an upgrade on my hardware and I had been waiting for the Bionic since it was a rumor. I didn't care about 4G until I happened upon it while travelling, I almost felt like I had to apply the brakes it was so fast!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

TyrannoTaurus

Reaction score
If you experienced the 4G then you wont feel that way. I loved my D2G but I wanted an upgrade on my hardware and I had been waiting for the Bionic since it was a rumor. I didn't care about 4G until I happened upon it while travelling, I almost felt like I had to apply the brakes it was so fast!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

If you have access to high speed WiFi a better part of your day, it really isn't that big of a deal.

doogald

Reaction score
I love this phone. It's not perfect - the launcher is ok, not great, though that's easily solvable. I had an Eris for almost two years, upgraded to a Bionic for a couple of weeks, but exchanged that for the D3. The Bionic kept dropping data randomly, when I knew I was in a great 3G area, which grew frustrating. There is an OTA update coming at some point for the Bionic, but I realized that I prefer my phone smaller (so it is more pocketable and easier to use with one hand), I don't need 4G, but want a solid 3G phone with great reception that I can count on.

After 17 months of running a rooted phone, with constant updates and data wipes to install new ROMs or updated versions, I decided to try running my phone as long as I could stand it stock, and I am now almost four weeks through with the D3 stock. It's fine stock - there is really no reason to root it, unless, of course, you prefer running it that way. There is bloat but it doesn't get in my way at all; the phone is responsive (more so than my iPod Touch 4G, which everyone tells me is supposed to be more responsive than Android) and FAST.

OP
X

xthek1ng

Reaction score
Yeah I'm probably gonna get the D3 today. I was looking at the bionic, but it;s main points are the 4G and the processing power. I mean, that's great and all, but it really doesn't make a big difference to me. I think, with the D3 with a 3rd party camera app and launcher, the phone will run just fine. PLus, ill root to get rid of the bloat ware, just to be safe.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm probably gonna get the D3 today. I was looking at the bionic, but it;s main points are the 4G and the processing power. I mean, that's great and all, but it really doesn't make a big difference to me. I think, with the D3 with a 3rd party camera app and launcher, the phone will run just fine. PLus, ill root to get rid of the bloat ware, just to be safe.

Processing power is moot. Same processor in the Bionic and D3. Its only the RAM that's different.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

pinback

Reaction score
Rooted my d3, realized it wasn't any different for my use. Back to stock and love it. I too decided having the keyboard is more important than 4g. I use wifi when needed, when I don't, 3g is just fine. A perfect, solid, slide out keyboard is more beneficial than 4g IMO.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums