Upgrading phones on your own

dcook12

Reaction score
This is probably a basic question so if nobody responds I will understand. I have a Droid 1 and love it..I see a lot of posts about people who buy an upgraded android phone from ebay or a friend etc. If I found a newer version cheap and bought it just to try what would this do to my contract. Would I have to go to Verizon and tell them I bought a newer android phone? I pay and have all of my info on the verizon sight so they know what phone I have which if I bought one on my own how would I do it correctly so that they knew what phone I had and I could still keep the plan I have now? I also have a question about a phone I have and the SD card. I know I can back everything up on my PC, but not everything would be compatible with a different model I would imagine and obviously since I have a motorola now, if I chose something from a different manufacturer I'm sure I could not use my backup to load to the new phone. So how do people do this. Is it just like getting a new phone and starting from scratch? Sorry for all the questions at once, but would like to keep my plan and if I don't buy the phone from them am I screwing myself...Any answers would be helpful...Thanks!!

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You would just deactivate your current phone and activate the new one...it doesn't affect your contract or anything whatsoever

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Basically you would just call your carrier, tell them you need to swap phones on your line, give them the esn number, they'll change it in the system, then call and activate it and you should be set. Not sure if you would have to give them anything different since your on a smartphone, onlyy done it with stupid phones. It doesn't extend your contract or anything though.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

OP
dcook12

dcook12

Reaction score
Basically you would just call your carrier, tell them you need to swap phones on your line, give them the esn number, they'll change it in the system, then call and activate it and you should be set. Not sure if you would have to give them anything different since your on a smartphone, onlyy done it with stupid phones. It doesn't extend your contract or anything though.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

Great!! Thanks for the quick replies!!! Sounds simple enough to me...I just thought it would be a hassle with the store and my current plan...Thanks again!!!