Upgrading phone this week, old phone is rooted, will this create problems?

Twitch043

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently using the Motorola Droid, running the latest Liquid Smooth with Android 4.0 theming. Point being, that not only is my phone rooted, it's OBVIOUS that it's rooted. This week I'll likely be upgrading my phone (Probably going to suck it up and fork out the $300 for the Galaxy Nexus). I don't know the upgrading process between smartphones. Will I be able to just use my old SD card in my new phone and have my contacts and whatnot transfer over?

My worry is that if I need to have them do some sort of connectivity thing between my old and new phone, they're going to see that my old phone is rooted. And has multiple tethering apps. So are there any precautions I should take before this happens? Or is transferring stuff over to a new phone easy enough that I can just do it myself and not have to even let them touch my old phone?

Sorry for the fairly dumb question, but I just wanted to see what this is going to be like.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Won't cause any problems, the only thing is that your old phone needs to be turned off for the new phone to be activated with your number. Once your new phone is activated your old phone can be used as a media device, you just won't get calls or data. Since you're on Android your contacts will import through your Google account, just make sure to backup once more just to be safe.

If you are getting a Nexus you'll have to drop your files on the SD card onto a computer and then transfer them over, as the Nexus has no SD card.

OP
Twitch043

Twitch043

Reaction score
Won't cause any problems, the only thing is that your old phone needs to be turned off for the new phone to be activated with your number. Once your new phone is activated your old phone can be used as a media device, you just won't get calls or data. Since you're on Android your contacts will import through your Google account, just make sure to backup once more just to be safe.

If you are getting a Nexus you'll have to drop your files on the SD card onto a computer and then transfer them over, as the Nexus has no SD card.

Whew, alright. Thank you for your help, good sir. And the no SD card thing isn't a big deal. If you do know the specifics, will it be obvious where on the file system to put certain things? For example, on the SD card photos are in a folder called "DCIM," stuff like that. I suppose it won't be difficult to figure out.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Whew, alright. Thank you for your help, good sir. And the no SD card thing isn't a big deal. If you do know the specifics, will it be obvious where on the file system to put certain things? For example, on the SD card photos are in a folder called "DCIM," stuff like that. I suppose it won't be difficult to figure out.
Off the top of my head I can't remember if it's DCIM or not. They're fairly similar so you'll get it easily once you see it in front of you. Good luck!