Upgrading from enV (original !!!)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by are we there yet, Jul 23, 2010.

1. are we there yet

are we there yet New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a 40 yr old mom upgraing from the original enV . . . old and pathetic I know.

since I have to have a REAL keyboard, I'm assuming I will never know the difference between the Droid 2 and what may potentially be the "new thing" that rolls out around christmas?

And don't laugh, but in the store I couldn't figure out how to make a call on the original droid!!!!! Should I just stick to my rotary phone?????

2. droidilac

droidilac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LMAO at rotary phone.... Dont feel bad when I first discovered the Droid I couldn't figure out how to make a call either... There is a slight learning curve but once you figure it out you should be just fine..... Beside we are all here to help out our fellow members...

3. ocholoco

ocholoco Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow, that enV lasted a while , huh? it's okay that you didn't know how to make a call, there's a learning curve & once you get used to it you'll be fine. plus there's always this forum to help you out :)

4. are we there yet

are we there yet New Member

Ratings:
    +0

LMAO ???!!!!!????? You do realize I had to google the meaning (no joke). :)

Yes, the original enV has lasted thru 2 small kids . . . 20 drops on the concrete driveway . . . and it has teeth marks from the dog. I feel like I'm in a Toyota commercial.

So, I guess the Droid 2 would be like going from a mini-van to a convertible Corvette???? I hate being old.:angry:

5. Taegost

Taegost Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Your analogy is pretty accurate :) I'm a geek and have used several smart phones in the past, and even I had a bit of an issue with the phone (Once I figured out how to make calls... I had to figure out how to get *back* to the phone interface during a call if I switched away).
    It has a lot of great features that can help you a lot, and quite a few apps that might help with raising a family.
    You probably won't be able to tell much of a difference between the D2 and anything else coming down the pipe, since you're not familiar with it, but any of them should suit you well. I actually got the Droid for the keyboard, which I never use unless I'm doing something to it that Motorola doesn't want me to do :) There are a lot of great alternatives out there.
    And remember this last thing: Age is a state of mind! :icon_ banana:

6. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I also went from the original enV to the Droid last November. The one thing that was better about the enV was the physical keyboard. I still use it, but the one on the enV was much better. It looks like the one on the Droid 2 will be an improvement over the original Droid one. I would not even think about going back to the enV.

By the way, you're a youngster. I'm 65.

7. clking

clking New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This 40 year old, and no, I don't feel old, and father switched from the EnV last December to the Droid. I can relate to others in that the EnV keyboard was very good. The Droid physical keyboard has been useless to me; my fingers are too big to use it effectively. I recently loaded the ported Droid X screen keyboard and and it is a welcome improvement over the stock keyboard.

I'm not sorry I made the switch. I was already paying the $30 extra per month for the data plan but now it's really worth it. Gmail, a real web browser and applications, not the Verizon variety.

I wouldn't drop it as much as you have the EnV but it is a well built Motorola phone, though still not as sturdy as my old StarTac!

8. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My wife made the jump from a much loved original ENV to the Moto Droid. She tried an Eris and returned it in a week and it took me three months to convince her to try again with the Droid.

And she's also a mom...though slightly over 40. (That's all I'll say.)

Giving up her ENV keyboard was the toughest adjustment she made. There's no question the ENV had a superior keyboard. However, she now uses (and loves) Swype and the physical keyboard on her Droid seldom gets any use.

With that exception, she LOVES the Droid. I think you'll find the learning curve, once conquered, was well worth the effort.