Upgrading from DroidMod 2.0.1 to most recent mod?

Discussion in 'Droid Mod' started by youngkyu, Dec 9, 2010.

1. youngkyu

youngkyu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so I have the 2.0.1 version of DroidMod... what should I do to uninstall this?

2. TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    r u wanting to unroot?
    r u wanting to step up to Android Froyo 2.2?
    do you have another Rom you want to run?
    do you know how to make a backup?
    have you made a backup?

do you know what im talking about? lol :)

3. youngkyu

youngkyu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm willing to step up to Froyo 2.2

I want to keep the root and flash the BuglessBeast ROM. Is this possible? Can you show me how to do this?

4. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola XT1103 (Nexus 6)
    Sure. You are running a pretty old rom, but I don't blame you either. Personally, though I would not suggest you try the rom you have in mind as I've read that it can be quite the bear to get setup the first time, i.e. multiple reboots, possible broken root and/or custom recovery along the way, etc. So that said, let's take some baby steps first.

Go to the market, find and install Rom Manager (free). You don't _need_ Rom Manager, but it's nice to not have to rename every single last rom, theme and other file to "update.zip" before you apply it and then (if you want to keep track) rename it again afterwards. Rom Manager (and CMRecovery) does not require this. Then you might want to try either Titanium Backup or MyBackupPro to attempt to save some of your apps and data (call log, sms, mms, bookmarks).

Then honestly, I suggest you look into the roms that don't have the most noise made about them. And yes, that means the sheeple who (pro)claim them loudly in their sigs, and/or always post how lightning fast it is or how it's so cool or some other thing. IMHO it's the 'quiet' roms that are the easiest and most stable.

Then on your phone go through the menus here:

menu -> settings -> about phone

and let us know what the last half says and I/we can then take a few more steps.

5. youngkyu

youngkyu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Model Number: Droid
    Firmware version: 2.0.1
    Baseband version: C_01.3E.01P
    Kernel version: 2.6.29-compcache06_unionfs253-sholes-omap1-hg383b38baebcb-dirty
    Build number: DroidMod 164 (1.0)

I've heard too many good things about Bugless Beast so I think I want to flash to that. Can you help me? :)

6. TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This will be the easiest way to get Bugless Beast v0.6 on your phone...

Make a nandroid backup in your custom recovery of your current DroidMod Rom

Go to the market, find and install Rom Manager (free).

Go into Rom Manager, click ok on the popups then flash ClockworkMod recovery at the top(choose Motorola Droid) let it do its thing

Then click on the Download Rom tab

Then click on the Bugless Beast tab

Choose Bugless Beast v0.6, click download(it is much faster over wifi)

When it finishes downloading it will prompt you with a popup box with two options(backup current Rom and Wipe data/cache) choose them both
    It will boot into Clockwork Recovery and backup you DroidMod Rom(so now you have a nandroid in SPR recovery and you have a Clockwork backup in case anything goes wrong)

Then, after it makes your backup it will wipe data/cache for you and auto install Bugless Beast v0.6....let it reboot, sign in and let it resync your market apps, contacts etc....try to leave it alone until it tells you it has resynced your apps(you will get a notification) then dial *22891 and update your PRL and your good to go....

Begin customizing.....

Make sure you have plenty of battery life for the install etc....

#6 TAPOUT27, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    Well, I hang out mostly in the rescue squad and hacking help areas here and that's where I hear about all the bad things. And unfortunately Bugless Beast is one of the roms that people having problems are running. I do not believe it is proper here at this site to actually promote or demote one rom or another, especially in a rom section, so I am just telling you my statistical observations.

Therefore, all I will do is tell you to go to the Bugless section here and read thoroughly on how to install it. I hear it is NOT for n00bs as it is VERY tricky to get running correctly. You still should get rom manager and update your baseband version. And as always make SURE you do a backup and data/cache wipe between rom installs.

I wish you luck.

#7 teddyearp, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  8. youngkyu

youngkyu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really? :\

Well the other mod I was considering was LithiumMod. How is the reputation of that rom?

Do I take the same steps as TAPOUT27 instructed if I were to install LithiumMod?

9. TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's very hard to tell you one thats better than another...it's more or less what you are looking for and what they have to offer over one another...

Everyone's Droid is different...meaning one Rom may run better on mine than it does on yours etc....I say use Rom Manager to get you going using the steps I provided and just start trying Rom's out...that way you can make and base your preferences on your own opinion of them

EDIT: As he said a min ago -- "You still should get rom manager and update your baseband version. And as always make SURE you do a backup and data/cache wipe between rom installs"

10. youngkyu

youngkyu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How would I go about updating my baseband version...?

11. TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go here and have at it...it will walk you through it

Peter Alfonso

12. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    TAPOUT is giving the good info. And like he said, different roms run better (or worse) on different phones. About Lithium Mod, I don't think I've seen many posters with that one in the rescue squad section . . . asking for help anyways . . .

good luck