Upgrades and Family Plans?

Skytile

Reaction score
I don't have a Droid yet, and am anxiously awaiting my chance since my current phone doesn't want to charge correctly for me.
My upgrade is on April 2nd, but I'm one of the secondary lines on a family plan. The primary line got a new phone this past year and won't be upgrade available for a while.

I'm wondering how much we would have to pay for a Droid? Especially if I used Wirefly via the Bing discount (does that still apply? I haven't really checked recently). With Wirefly you have to upgrade the primary line, correct?

I don't want to pay the full $200 at Verizon when I could get it for so much cheaper at Wirefly. But I don't know if Wirefly will let us upgrade the primary line AND my line if the primary doesn't currently have an available upgrade?

I'm very confused by family plans.
All the current lines on our family plan are non-smart if that could factor into the equation at all.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you. :)

OP
S

Skytile

Reaction score
Bump. Because this is no longer on the first page, and I would really like a response.

OP
S

Skytile

Reaction score
Seriously. A little help would be nice. Or if somebody could point my to a thread that exactly answers my questions? Thanks.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Seriously. A little help would be nice. Or if somebody could point my to a thread that exactly answers my questions? Thanks.
It's not like people are purposely ignoring you. We just don't know. Have you called their CS?

Jenlo

Reaction score
I got my Droid at Amazon wireless (click on Amazon cell phones) for $50 and it did not have to be the primary line. The line did have to be eligible for upgrade though.

OP
S

Skytile

Reaction score
Oh good. It seemed like I really was being ignored, as I'm such an ignorable person. :p (Is that even a word?) I was just thinking about contacting them to ask about it, but from what I've heard, if you call, you don't get an American. And I'm rubbish with accents.

I guess email is where it's at. I'm better with text anyway. I was just hoping that I could get straight-out answers from people here since the members here know absolutely everything, and I trust them to the end of the earth! I guess if nobody has answers, talking to CS is the only option.

Thanks for replying!

(Good luck figuring out where the sincerity ends and the sarcasm begins. I honestly don't even know. Just assume everything is a mix.)

OP
S

Skytile

Reaction score
Well Wirefly has the Bing option that would put me at free. I'd rather pay $0 than pay $50.

zero7starz

Reaction score
If there is not an upgrade available, then most likely it will not let you. I've never dealt with them personally, but if an upgrade is not available it means there is still a large part of a contract left (upgrades are 4 months prior to a contract ending, so even if its a month to your update thats still 5 months contract) and thus there is no "spiff" price. A "spiff" price is basically payment to the company from Verizon for you signing up with a new contract and they pay the remainder of the price of the phone for you. Droid's cost from MOTO is like 500 something, and say Verizon sell sit for 200 because they're making that 300 back on your contract (service) plus they're expecting you to buy accessories (lol). So no upgrade mostlikely means no-go.

You can, however, always try to do it on a secondary line. They might, they might not, its up to them.

Jenlo

Reaction score
Secondary line upgrade

My upgrade with Amazon wireless was for a secondary line--everywhere else I tried only gave good pricing for a primary line. The secondary was eligible for an upgrade and at $50, was the cheapest I could find anywhere for a secondary line. I also spoke to them on the phone and the service rep spoke perfect English.

OP
S

Skytile

Reaction score
Thank you!
Also, Amazon currently shows $70 for me. Is that because of where I live? Or did the price go up a little? Or am I just missing something?

Jenlo

Reaction score
I believe the prices vary from time to time, depending on what they are running on special. I got mine in the middle of Feb. Walmart.com also has great prices, but they only allow the good prices on primary lines.

brandibit

Reaction score
I paid $70 for mine through Amazon Wireless also. Mine is a secondary line that has been eligible for an upgrade for awhile. It might be location since they ask for your zip code. I'm not sure, but it is still alot better than $200 at Verizon.