Upgraded to ud10 how do I get my data back?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by philc21, Apr 13, 2010.

1. philc21

philc21 New Member

I just updated to ultimate droid 10 and since you have to wipe I lost all my data and apps. I normally just would restore the data from my previous rom but when I tried with this rom the phone loads up and I get endless fc's. Does anyone know how I'm supposed to get all my apps and settings into ud10? I'd Love to update from 9.8 but I don't want to have to manually install everything again.
  2. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

Contacts and what have you will Sync back. Apps will need to be reinstalled etc. Its a new revision and clearly stated you would be required to clear the system before install.
  3. philc21

philc21 New Member

Damn I was hoping there was a way around doing it manually since I was able to just do a sprecovery when I made the jump to 9.8 and got it all back that way. Is this going to always have to be done now with all new updates or is there a reason for this one requiring it
  4. masters

masters New Member

Titanium Backup or Astro?
  5. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Last night I tried installing UD10 but it was very late and I couldn't mess with it any longer, but I have been using Titanium Backup to restore when I check out different ROM's. However, I was getting Google Market FC's right and left, and no matter what, even if it appeared that T.B. had got them back for me, it didn't work. I don't know if a solution was ever found, but T.B. is usually a good way to restore data.
  6. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

As I understand it was recommended due to the drastic code alterations so no issues or conflicts arose.
  7. philc21

philc21 New Member

does t.b restore the settings you had with the apps and is there a way to backup all instead of each individually?
  8. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Yes it saves/restores settings. And yes you can do them in bulk if you purchase (donate) via his site (paypal). You then will get an e-mail with a license file, you put that on your SD card. And you can then do a batch restore, and backup.

E2A link to site http://www.matrixrewriter.com/android/
  9. voydas

voydas New Member

Does T.B. save the home screen layout and shortcuts? Background image?
  10. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Shortcuts like browser shortcuts, I believe so. I actually don't use any to verify this. I assume they would be stored with whatever browser you are using. Also, I don't back up system apps.

The program can backup system apps, so yes in theory it could backup screen layout and wallpapers. They are stored in whatever you use for your home (launcher, launcher2, Helix....etc). You can back this up, but most ROMs come with new ones (and often improved ones). Restoring these could become a problem, if you don't uninstall the one that comes with the ROM. Also, not all launchers will work with all ROMs. But...if you really wanted to I guess you could save your layout by backing up that particular .apk I haven't investigated if it works though. It really doesn't take me that long to set up a few screens like I had it before, although my setup isn't as crazy as some people get with a shortcut to every single app in their drawer. I tend to not back up /system apps, since ROMs include their own.

About wallpapers getting backed up. Livewallpapers are apps, so they get backed up with all the other apps. All the market ones do at least, the default LWP will come with your new ROM. The default wallpapers are in whatever launcher you are using, like the screen layout above. So, yes in theory. They would probably be easier to pull out and just put on your sdcard if you really can't live without whatever one it is, and that picture isn't on your next ROM. All wallpapers you download though should be on your sdcard (gallery), except the live wallpapers.

So yes, at least in theory you can backup your screen setup, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  11. gregbridwell

gregbridwell New Member

Tip using T.B.:
    Load tb from the market, select the problems button to download the latest busy box
    Then select the backup/restore tab, select menu, select batch and then run backup for all apps and data.
    Do a android backup
    Then boot into recovery and factory reset twice and wipe cache twice
    Restore UD10 nandroid
    Sign in to your google and let it finish it's sync
    Download T.B. and update busy box again.
    Then go to the backup/restore tab in T.B.
    Select menu, select batch the run the restore for all missing apps and data.

I had to do all of these steps after a couple of failed attempts.

This will get all of your apps back and appropriately tied back to the market. You'll still have to rearrange your widgets and shortcuts, but you won't have to worry about your apps. I have over 100 so this is a life saver if you ask me!
  12. Jason R

Jason R New Member

Did you have to go back to your old rom before you did this, or did you do it with 10 running?
  13. gregbridwell

gregbridwell New Member

Forgot to mention that! I backed up all my apps while running UD9.8 then restored the back ups as a batch operation after loading the UD10 nandroid.

FYI, I have since gone back to 9.8 because my home button and search button stopped working while I was using UD10. I also had a spontaneous reboot and a couple of FC's so I decided to go back to 9.8 because it was running really nicely for me.
  14. Jason R

Jason R New Member

I ran a backup as well before installing 10, but I don't think( pretty sure) busy box was not up to date. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I need to go back to my previous rom update busy box, do another backup, reinstall 10 rom install TB, update bb and then start restoring apps ?
    next question. How to restore as a batch operation? Terminal emulator? If so what did you type in?
  15. gregbridwell

gregbridwell New Member

Yeah, restore 10, dl tb, ud bb and restore. The batch is done via tb. Select backup/restore tab, menu, batch, then choose to restore missing apps + data.
  16. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

This definitely works...I totally forgot about the new version of busybox! could not figure out why I did not have the problems everyone else was talking about. I have the premium, and when I downloaded Ti...it automatically updated busybox.
  17. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

If you are using an alternative home app then absolutely every time. BUT if you are using Launcher or Launcher2...there is coding specific to the build and you will have problems. You are better off redoing.
  18. Jason R

Jason R New Member

K. Sorry but still a little confused. :confused: I do need to go to my previous rom first
  19. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Only if you did not run a batch backup of all apps and data
  20. gregbridwell

gregbridwell New Member

Yes, start with the latest ROM you've been using to get your backup that will later be restored after you load UD10