Upgraded phone, questions about what to do with old Droid

jhev1

Reaction score
So I have an easy one for you guys. I upgraded to the Charge (love everything except GPS performance) and want give my old Droid to my wife for use as everything except cell phone. I'm guessing she'll use it mostly as a music player, maybe some games, and the occasional Netflix too. If I do a factory reset to wipe out all my crap, can it be set up with her gmail, allowing her to install apps from the market place? I won't be able to get updates to latest ROM, so can I root if not on a carriers network? How would you go about it? What image to use? Am I on the right track? Thanks for any help.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes you can without carrier.

Also you download true mapping software and use it as a GPS. Probably what I'll be doing!

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

OP
J

jhev1

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. What image do you recommend for a newbie? (wife is the newbie, not me)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You should try a few. As a forum mod I can't play favorites. ;)

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

OP
J

jhev1

Reaction score
Politics, I get it! What about anyone else out there who is not mod?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
You can pretty much do anything except having 3g and service...I would use it as an mp3 when I upgrade too

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.1
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

peskemom

Reaction score
This idea is one I've already begun planning. I will turn my OD into a new phone probably early next year at the 2 yr. mark. I will ahead of time fill my phone with games ( being a grandma I have all kinds of kid-age-appropriate games in several age levels)...

I will put some music files and if Google keeps up with its concept of Music Manager - I will be able to only put on my SD card what I really want away from my wifi connections, freeing up more space.

I will keep my USB connection as a way to put books and/or movies I download from my phone to my computer for my grandkids to use when they stay with me.

I will continue to leave it lying around the house for quick checks on twitter, FB and whatever else - getting spoiled like those of us with multiple phones in different rooms.

I can also use it as a radio at home for online/internet programs - probably leaving it in one place like the bathroom if I want info there, for example.

so that is some of what I am thinking about

I will leave alot of my apps on there that can still be kept active via my wifi - but alot of things I will pull off as I see what I need and don't want to keep...but that's still ahead

don't know if this is what you were looking for, but there you go