Upgraded and Kept my Unlimited Plan

PowrDroid

Reaction score
The only way, so far, is if you have to have more than one line and an eligible upgrade that can be used on a tiered line.
*Place the eligible upgrade on the limited tiered line,
*get the new subsidized phone on that limited tiered line's upgrade,
*very important-activate the new phone on the limited tiered line to update the contract for that line (because it is a tiered line, the upgrade does not cause you to choose a tiered package for that line).
*once the contract is updated on the tiered line, you can put the new phone on any line you want, including your unlimited lines.

Once you do this I presume the line access charge for each phone remains the same? i.e. $9.99 per month?

Here's my situation--1 smartphone (mine) on 3G and 2 dumbphones. All were activated at the same time, contract is up in December. Shared family plan on voice, unlimited text, and I have unlimited data.

If I upgrade to a Maxx HD on one of the dumbphone lines and then do the phone number/line switch, I get to keep unlimited data. I then give my Droid 2 to my son, who would want to have data access--how will Verizon bill me for that data usage on the Droid 2 phone? It's 3G access. Assume the third line remains a dumbphone line.

Last edited:

gripstock

Reaction score
I let my Unlimited Plan go. I had Droid X & my wife has iPhone.
They ran the numbers for three months and a 4gb plan was enough to keep me under.
I saved $40 per month because the Mobile Hot Spot is part of the share plan. (I was paying $20 extra a month for that feature on one phone.)
That is $360 a year less on my bill.
Unlimited is just too expensive when they make you pay full price for the next new phone you get.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
PowrDroid said:
Once you do this I presume the line access charge for each phone remains the same? i.e. $9.99 per month?

Here's my situation--1 smartphone (mine) on 3G and 2 dumbphones. All were activated at the same time, contract is up in December. Shared family plan on voice, unlimited text, and I have unlimited data.

If I upgrade to a Maxx HD on one of the dumbphone lines and then do the phone number/line switch, I get to keep unlimited data. I then give my Droid 2 to my son, who would want to have data access--how will Verizon bill me for that data usage on the Droid 2 phone? It's 3G access. Assume the third line remains a dumbphone line.

Verizon won't activate a smart phone on a dumb phone line. You would have to upgrade that line, presumably your whole contract.

But give it a try you might find a rep that might do it.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
According to some posters, some reps are onto this and will let it fly.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You would have to choose a tiered data plan for that line. Because your son will end up keeping your old smart phone on that line, then you would have to maintain the data plan on that line. If you were ever to put a dumb phone back on that line, then you could cancel the data for that line.

Chances are they will try to talk you into going on their shared data but you will have to insist that you only want to update the one line and keep your line the same.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Lol! Well some reps actually understand that you want to keep unlimited and go out of their way to help you do it...believe it or not. Not many, but some.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Lol! Well some reps actually understand that you want to keep unlimited and go out of their way to help you do it...believe it or not. Not many, but some.

True.

droidreajoh

Reaction score
So, to recap: I transfer a dumbphone upgrade to wifes smartphone line. I then buy the new smartphone and activate on wifes #. I then tranfer that to my line (which is unlimited). Then I put wifes original smartphone back on her line.

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Verizon won't activate a smart phone on a dumb phone line. You would have to upgrade that line, presumably your whole contract.

Well I thought I had it figured out, until this post. I have three lines, only my line has a data plan. Are you saying in order for this technique to work one of my other two lines needs to have a (limited usage) data plan on it? Both of these other two lines are currently on a basic pay-as-you-go data plan at $1.99/MB.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
PowrDroid said:
Well I thought I had it figured out, until this post. I have three lines, only my line has a data plan. Are you saying in order for this technique to work one of my other two lines needs to have a (limited usage) data plan on it? Both of these other two lines are currently on a basic pay-as-you-go data plan at $1.99/MB.

Tis explained this a couple post up, yes you will have to upgrade that line to a tiered data plan.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
PowrDroid said:

If you put a smart phone on one of the pay-as-you-go lines, then you will have to choose a tiered data plan (I think at least 2 gb for $30). But, if you take the smart phone off that line, you can cancel the tiered data.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for picking up my slack, "queen of the five lines"

Just put the dumb phone back on that line.

drzcharlie

Reaction score
The only way, so far, is if you have to have more than one line and an eligible upgrade that can be used on a tiered line.
*Place the eligible upgrade on the limited tiered line,
*get the new subsidized phone on that limited tiered line's upgrade,
*very important-activate the new phone on the limited tiered line to update the contract for that line (because it is a tiered line, the upgrade does not cause you to choose a tiered package for that line).
*once the contract is updated on the tiered line, you can put the new phone on any line you want, including your unlimited lines.

This is exactly what I just did. Kept my unlimited too!

ralbertina

Reaction score
I would be interested in your thoughts on the following scenario:

We have 3 smart phones on a family plan with unlimited data with one phone out of contract and eligible for upgrade. the phones are:

Line #1: My phone: Razr Maxx (still under contract and fine as is)
Line #2; Wife's phone: Razr Maxx (still under contrcat and fine as is)
Line #3: Daughter's Phone: Droid 2 Global (out of contract, eligible for upgrade)

What I've been told by VZ reps from 3 different stores is there is no way to upgrade Line # 3 without moving that line to a tiered data plan, other than paying full retail for the phone. I've been told several reasons for this including were moving a phone from the 3g to 4LTE network.

What we would like to ultimately accomplish if possible, is to obtan a new phone for our daughter that utilizes her existing number while keeping it on our unlimted data family plan. Any thoughts on scenarios that would accomplish this?

Last edited: