upgrade

alsheppard

Reaction score
Just curious, and sorry I didn't research old posts, but with all the new phones popping up every week why won't verizon allow us to upgrade whenever we want a new phone, without paying full price.

vatothe0

Reaction score
As in, why won't they give you $400 out of their pocket whenever you want?
Is this a serious question?

iamjoe

Reaction score
It's called supply & demand. If you demand a new phone then you got's to pay. You can always try to negotiate an upgrade if you are close to your 2 yr term. The squeaky wheel sometimes gets the oil.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon loses money every time you upgrade. They subsidize this price of the phone in order to guarantee two more years of your business. They don't really want you to upgrade, so they certainly wouldn't want to give you an upgrade whenever you want.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

James9109

Reaction score
Doesn't the main carrier in a plan get a new phone once a year at the 2 year contract price but the others have to pay full retail if the 2 years arn't up?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Doesn't the main carrier in a plan get a new phone once a year at the 2 year contract price but the others have to pay full retail if the 2 years arn't up?
The main line on a plan gets upgrades faster, at least how it is with my plan. I believe the main line gets every 12months and the additional lines get it every 15months.

But yes as other have said OP, Verizon loses money, and quite a bit, for every subsidized phone they sell.

Detonation

Reaction score

I think that was the Annual Upgrade program that they did away with about a year ago. It probably worked well for them on dumbphones in the past, but with the adoption rate and price of smartphones, they were probably taking a bigger hit then they'd like.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

That has never been the case with our plan for the 10 or so years that we have been with VZW. Everyone gets to upgrade every 20 months at the 2 year price.

Detonation

Reaction score
That has never been the case with our plan for the 10 or so years that we have been with VZW. Everyone gets to upgrade every 20 months at the 2 year price.

Looks like you missed a number of upgrade opportunities over the years then:

What is Annual Upgrade?
Annual Upgrade was a marketing program available to customers who signed up for a two-year plan of at least $49.99 or higher. Enrolled customers were eligible to upgrade after one-year.
New lines of service will no longer be enrolled in the Annual Upgrade program. If you are currently enrolled, you may redeem your Annual upgrade one more time after fulfilling 13 months of your two-year term or you may wait until after month 20 to redeem your New Every Two credit. (Please see New Every Two for additional details on that program.)

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Wireless Service/faq_worry_free_guarantee.html

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Looks like you missed a number of upgrade opportunities over the years then:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Wireless Service/faq_worry_free_guarantee.html

I never saw anything but 20 months when I signed into My Verizon. It always showed both phones and our Home Phone Connect box eligible for upgrade at 20 months. It doesn't really matter though, as I never even saw a need to upgrade at the 20 month point. I normally went at least 24 months and had my first smartphone (Droid) for 25 months. We kept feature phones before that for about 3 years.

OP
alsheppard

alsheppard

Reaction score
I read all the replies to my post. Thank You all. As a matter of curosity, If apple expects to sell 22 million I phones and android sells similiar numbers of phones does that indicate that the majority of customers are paying full price ($600+/-). It doesn't seem that that many contracts expire in such a short period.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I read all the replies to my post. Thank You all. As a matter of curosity, If apple expects to sell 22 million I phones and android sells similiar numbers of phones does that indicate that the majority of customers are paying full price ($600+/-). It doesn't seem that that many contracts expire in such a short period.

I would think that those numbers would include worldwide sales and not just US sales. If I remember what I have read in the past, there are not subsidized sales in most other countries.