upgrade unlimited data question?

brobamigo

Reaction score
Hey guys looking to upgrade from the bionic to the s4 while also keeping my data plan

We are on a 3 person family plan(me,mom,sister) and both my mom and I have an upgrade available

She has a basic old school flip phone and has no interest in an upgrade so what I was wondering is if we upgrade her phone line to a s4 and then switch the s4 to my line would I still keep my unlimited data?

Also would she be able to switch back to her basic phone or would she have to use my bionic and pay for a data plan?

Thanks guys

steeletown

Reaction score
Yes that will work. Once you switch the S4 you can put the flip phone back on her line and cancel the data.

Reaction score
If you receive a discount on the phone instead of buying full price then your unlimited data is gone. What I was told when I was put on someone's data plan is that if you add an extra phone line or if you don't buy the phone full price without the contract then they will change your data plan and you will have to adjust as you see fit. Maybe if you paid full price or bought the s4 from someone else then you would keep your data plan. What I'm trying to say is, from what I know and from what I heard, if you make big adjustments to your plan your data is gone. I only get 1.9 GB per month and it sucks.

steeletown

Reaction score
I just did the exact sames thing last week. Got the S4 on my mother's line, switched it to my number and put her phone back on her line and canceled the data. Still have my Unlimited on my line.

OP
B

brobamigo

Reaction score
Thanks guys will try that here in the next week or so

Reaction score
Wow. Well I didn't know that. Like I said all I was told is big changes to the contract.. So I thought it would include something like that but I guess I was wrong.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Your best friend in a family share plan is a flip.. Non smart phone..

You will always have new phone with discount price.. Unlimited!

Now just don't brag to mom about the smartphone then she decides I want one.. Lmao

Noted 2x~4 beta

O2VW1.8T

Reaction score
Yup just did this with my bionic, and best buy matched 179 from verizon

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just did the exact sames thing last week. Got the S4 on my mother's line, switched it to my number and put her phone back on her line and canceled the data. Still have my Unlimited on my line.
The only thing not mentioned so far is you lock the account that has the upgrade into another two years. It's news to me that you can upgrade and then switch back to the flip -- I'll definitely explore that option! I assumed once you put a smart phone on the line that had the flip, you were not only locked into a new contract for that line, but also the terms of the plan (e.g., data for the upgraded line).

-Matt

O2VW1.8T

Reaction score
The only thing not mentioned so far is you lock the account that has the upgrade into another two years. It's news to me that you can upgrade and then switch back to the flip -- I'll definitely explore that option! I assumed once you put a smart phone on the line that had the flip, you were not only locked into a new contract for that line, but also the terms of the plan (e.g., data for the upgraded line).

-Matt
Its only a contract for the line, for me i have an extra account so i can upgrade and not loose unlimited data its cheaper to keep it at 14 bucks a month plus the phone got it for 179 and the 2 year contract = about 520 bucks way cheaper then buying the phone outright and not worrying about going over 2gigs a month. I put my flip phone the same day i got the S4.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

-Matt

Nope, data is a feature, not a rate plan. So long as you don't have an active smart phone you don't have to have data. For now you can play the upgrade/switch game.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Its only a contract for the line, for me i have an extra account so i can upgrade and not loose unlimited data its cheaper to keep it at 14 bucks a month plus the phone got it for 179 and the 2 year contract = about 520 bucks way cheaper then buying the phone outright and not worrying about going over 2gigs a month. I put my flip phone the same day i got the S4.

Nope, data is a feature, not a rate plan. So long as you don't have an active smart phone you don't have to have data. For now you can play the upgrade/switch game.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Thanks guys -- that's the best news I've heard all day. "Data is a feature." Gotta remember that. ;)

-Matt

kph3

Reaction score
Question though, how did you all do the switch back to the flip on that line as well as moving new phone to unlimited line.....call 611 or do it yourself online? I would like to try this, thanks. Kevin