Upgrade to Note 3??...

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
With Power Saver On I don't seem to get THAT much more battery life out of the phone with my heavy usage (I'm a really light user). The phone visibly lags when scrolling with Power Saver on so I'll probably keep that off. Pretty happy with the battery usage tho.

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Oh fine print... I went back & re read the email that said I can upgrade any line regardless of eligibility & I would have to trade in my current device to be able to upgrade. I'm not sure I'm ready to say goodbye to my Razr HD Maxx permanently yet... Kinda sucks, it looked like I was really ready to go for the Note 3.

I wonder if I could reactivate my old Thunderbolt & then trade that in??....

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Oh fine print... I went back & re read the email that said I can upgrade any line regardless of eligibility & I would have to trade in my current device to be able to upgrade. I'm not sure I'm ready to say goodbye to my Razr HD Maxx permanently yet... Kinda sucks, it looked like I was really ready to go for the Note 3.

I wonder if I could reactivate my old Thunderbolt & then trade that in??....

I would definitely give it a try. Reactivate your old thunderbolt's IMEI on your line - let it sit for a day, then go in and try to do the early upgrade. BAM you get to keep the Maxx. Wouldn't hurt to try. My wife and I had to trade in our Moto X and iPhone 4s. Imo still worth it because now I get to upgrade every year - yeah we pay a little more.

Is the Maxx still under contract? That's the only thing that might prevent it but ... I would still try it either way.

Last edited:

ripper2860

Reaction score
Went from a Droid Razr Maxx HD to the Note 3 and have not been disappointed in the least. I was originally concerned about Battery Life, but it has not been an issue at all. Just turned off a few things that I did not need or care for (basically stuff that uses the camera for gestures and eye tracking) and I get outstanding battery life. Well worth the switch!!

Last edited:
OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
I would definitely give it a try. Reactivate your old thunderbolt's IMEI on your line - let it sit for a day, then go in and try to do the early upgrade. BAM you get to keep the Maxx. Wouldn't hurt to try. My wife and I had to trade in our Moto X and iPhone 4s. Imo still worth it because now I get to upgrade every year - yeah we pay a little more.

Is the Maxx still under contract? That's the only thing that might prevent it but ... I would still try it either way.

Yes the Maxx is still under contract but I have until March 31st to upgrade using Edge as a special bonus for the new More Everything plan. So even tho its still on contract I think I'm good. Not sure I can use my TBolt for a full day tho! Lol

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yes the Maxx is still under contract but I have until March 31st to upgrade using Edge as a special bonus for the new More Everything plan. So even tho its still on contract I think I'm good. Not sure I can use my TBolt for a full day tho! Lol

Man... the HTC Thunderbolt... lol that was a phone. I remember it like yesterday. That thing was a beast - the first day it came out I got it and the Blockbuster app malfunctioned downloading GIGS of thumbnails for movies draining the battery in 2-3 hours with NO WAY to stop it - we all had unlimited LTE back then. I remember getting 40+ mbps down because no one else was using LTE back then. I do remember the battery life was terrible. I had to root that thing to get rid of the pesky Verizon adware - once I did, that thing held up with a very high overclock. I just remember the touch screen not being anywhere near the iPhones of its time. I remember rooting that thing every few days. lol

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Yeah that TBolt was a beast. I went out & got it the first day possible because it was the "1st 4G phone"! I actually waited a few months to root & by the time I did I already had the update that prevented rooting. So I had to downgrade then root. It took forever! But once I did it was a much better experience. So I've had 2 Motorolas, 1 HTC, now I might be ready to take Samsung for a spin. I always like the Sony androids but VZW never carries those.

Psyman

Reaction score
So with VZW's new "more everything" plans my family account now has the ability to upgrade to the Edge program regardless of upgrade eligibility. I've been really happy with my HD Maxx but this is a pretty enticing offer. I was most likely going to jump to the Edge program anyway when I'm eligible for upgrade in November. The way I see it is the only phone that might be worth upgrading to right now is the Note 3 for the size & specs. I have until the end of March to decide so I might wait on the GS5 to see if it's all its been supposedly cracked up to be. Any thoughts on this? Is it worth it?

Im in the same boat, was upset when I heard our phones wernt getting updates, but then found out they might, so im waiting till march and see whats around the corner. S5 looks nice.

nepkp

Reaction score
I am getting sick of the RMHD, Verizon support and Google /Motorola leaving me behind, but I am still undecided on a replacement. I can't wait to get a unit that doesn't make me mad on a daily basis. Maybe by 2024, the features we already have will actually work properly...... Like video chat, which I first saw in 1963 at NY world's fair. I am thinking Galaxy S5, Motorola has lost me!

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I absolutely loved my RAZR. That being said, I have not regretted the switch I made to the Note 3. It is hands down the best phone that I have owned. I had 2 concerns before making the switch. Reception and was the screen going to be too big. After holding the Note 3 in the store I was amazed at how good it felt in my hands ( I have no idea how I used to be so content with the size of my Razr). In my area I have pretty good reception, so no signal on my Note 3 has not been an issue. I hear some people that live in the "Fringe" area suffer a bit, but like I said, not an issue for me!

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My upgrade day is Friday and I am planning on getting the Note 3. I currently have the Razr Maxx. I was a little worried about the battery life but after reading this thread and seeing the screen shots I am pretty sure I am going to get it. I thought about holding out to see what the Note 4 will be but honestly I think the Note 3 will be a good phone even if I have it for 2 years. I'm seriously excited for Friday. Sad I know. I am so over Motorola and its lag and crappy camera but man I love the battery life.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
My upgrade day is Friday and I am planning on getting the Note 3. I currently have the Razr Maxx. I was a little worried about the battery life but after reading this thread and seeing the screen shots I am pretty sure I am going to get it. I thought about holding out to see what the Note 4 will be but honestly I think the Note 3 will be a good phone even if I have it for 2 years. I'm seriously excited for Friday. Sad I know. I am so over Motorola and its lag and crappy camera but man I love the battery life.

Not sad at all!! New phone day is better than Xmas, especially for us grown ups.

And trust me, the very last thing you'll have to worry about with the N3 is battery. Yesterday when I went to bed I had 19 hours unplugged with 2 hours screen time and was at 71%. Amazing!!

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Not sad at all!! New phone day is better than Xmas, especially for us grown ups.

And trust me, the very last thing you'll have to worry about with the N3 is battery. Yesterday when I went to bed I had 19 hours unplugged with 2 hours screen time and was at 71%. Amazing!!

That is awesome! That much screen time on my maxx may not be as good.