Upgrade to Droid X or wait for Thunderbolt

jodyberry

Reaction score
I got a new DX on ebay about 2 weeks ago for $280. I saw one go for $247. If you aim for an auction that ends early morning you can get one for less than $300 off contract and keep your upgrade. I love the X, considered the Thunderbolt but ultimately decided that I really want dual core. So ebay and craigslist are good options.

So I just bid for one on Ebay, if I win this bad boy do I just take it to VZ to get activated, or is that something I have to look up how to do on this site?

2 ways:

1. Turn off your existing phone. Turn on the new phone and hit *228. Enter option 3 when asked. It'll walk you through adding this phone to your existing line. (effectively replacing your current phone)

or

2. Call verizon on your current phone and tell them you need to change your current phone to a new phone. They'll ask you for the ESN number which usually starts with A00000.... They'll walk you through everything.

rissman1275

Reaction score
Thanks Jodyberry, This will be useful next week when I get it in the mail.

:rockon:I am now in the club.dancedroid:byeBB:

Hate smiles but seemed needed.

Slighter

Reaction score
push-up.gif

funkyb

Reaction score
The X can be found much cheaper through alternate sources rather than VZW.
I got mine at Costco with the accessory pack for $50+tax.
Dell has it right now for $20.. wirefly is $20 as well I believe.

Just check out the retailers before you buy.. no reason to pay $150-$200 from VZW when you can find it for less elsewhere.

Shnikeys!!! I got my DX at Costco for $149. 99 just a few days before Christmas and I thought I had the deal of the century... at that time it was.
What a difference a few months makes. Oh well, I wouldn't have been able to wait any longer anyhow.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

On wirefly for me it shows X as free using NE2. Sheet, should I just take a free phone and burn the upgrade vs. spending $300 + possibly tiered data for the TB?

Dare4Sale

Reaction score
On wirefly for me it shows X as free using NE2. Sheet, should I just take a free phone and burn the upgrade vs. spending $300 + possibly tiered data for the TB?

To confirm: I just got the Droid X, AND an Octane for the wife from Wirefly.com for FREE. First time I ever dealt with them and came away very happy!

Bryan

Reaction score
I would personally get the X, if you are looking to upgrade. I've had a few minor snafus with mine, but nothing a little fiddling couldn't fix. The Eris is the only HTC phone I have ever had and it was enough to completely turn me off to HTC, entirely. This is probably a bit over-reactive as the Eris was a first gen phone, but there were just too many things about it that I didn't like that Motorola got down perfect.

Personally if you have the original moto rooted and you like it, I'd probably keep it at least until the new wave of 4G phones come onto the market so you can do a little research on them and their issues before you drop the cash on 'em. That's just my opinion though. :)

leonozug

Reaction score
I just bought a Droid X off of Ebay, should get it next week...looking forward to upgrading from my Droid 1 that I've had since Nov. '09...I WAS going to get a Thunderbolt, but the all the waiting, and mainly the LTE/battery issues scared me away. I'll wait a while until they perfect the LTE network before I even dare buy a 4G phone. The X should be good for quite a while, especially if it gets Gingerbread.

indycolts

Reaction score
I was wavering on waiting for the Thunderbolt too, however the numerous delays and other negativity surrounding the thunderbolt made me turn to the droid x. After a week, I am super happy with my choice. I know it will be outdated by the end of the year, but what technology isn't? Even if the thunderbolt comes out next week I don't care -- I am more than happy with my choice.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

droidxdude859

Reaction score
My friend called Verizon today to order a droid x and was told they were discontinued. They tried to sell us a facinate for $199 or a Iphone we told them to forget it.

MMASUPAFAN

Reaction score
Stop me if I'm wrong but aren't all newer moto droids going to have a locked boot loader? Since so many d1 return issues.....and read somewhere that dual core processor phones need dual core apps in other words there useless or just as fast as reg core processors? Or am I way off?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah they're going to be locked. Dual core is just as good as or better than single core but we won't be able to fully see their performance improvements until the software is optimized for it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
My friend called Verizon today to order a droid x and was told they were discontinued. They tried to sell us a facinate for $199 or a Iphone we told them to forget it.

That's probably what they are told to say. You can still get the X on VZ's website, I'm looking at it right now. I just got my X about 3 weeks ago or so.

Either they were told to say it or some customer service rep has some bad information. Hell I could buy a Droid 1 on their website as early as a few months ago if I had wanted too.

MMASUPAFAN

Reaction score
Dells webpage had them for 20 $ w/2 yr deal same at costco I believe....of course V would want u to pay for a more expensive phone....my opinion just doesn't get better then the X!