Upgrade Time !! What to pick ?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My upgrades available in a couple of months. I have the LG spectrum in sights. Best screen of the bunch. Similar internals as the Rezound.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

The spectrum does have a great looking screen but I spent over an hour playing with it at my local VZW store, which happens to sit right by a 4G tower, and it was only pulling down 11Mbps while the Nexus demo and my nexus were pulling down 35Mbps. I am not trying to change your mind but I figured I would let you know that I saw slow data rates on the spectrum even when compared to a phoneike the stratosphere which was pulling down 26Mbps on average.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

t35rk

Reaction score
That display does look cool. The main problem I had with it is, well, it is LG. They dont have the best reputation. I have not seen what the Camera can do either.

LG has a rep of a lack of support and updates. But what do ya know...they are already prepping for an update to fix a netflix glitch, as announced today. I have two months before my upgrade, so time will tell with this device.

The camera on the LG has very little lag. The pics I took in the store were flat but clear. No "wow" factor with them. The camera on the rezound is great, and its low light performance is really good.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The display is the main thing I look for when I look at phones. And the LG Spectrum does have an awesome one. But there are limits. An awesome display doesnt mean as much if the hardware is buggy or unreliable, or if the support is really awful.

So I have withheld judgement on the LG spectrum. I dont really know anything about it yet except that it is LG and has a nice display.

t35rk

Reaction score
The spectrum does have a great looking screen but I spent over an hour playing with it at my local VZW store, which happens to sit right by a 4G tower, and it was only pulling down 11Mbps while the Nexus demo and my nexus were pulling down 35Mbps. I am not trying to change your mind but I figured I would let you know that I saw slow data rates on the spectrum even when compared to a phoneike the stratosphere which was pulling down 26Mbps on average.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input.

4G performance probably differs greatly by area. I've tested these different devices several times in the Salt Lake valley when looking for my wife's replacement phone. The Rezound and TBolt where the only ones which would consistently get and hold a 4G signal. Side by side with the Motos, Nexus, Pantech, and the Stratosphere and Charge, it was telling of this area. The LG has similar Qualcomm internals as the Rezound. It worked flawlessly the one time I tested the unit for 20 minutes.

I'll be considering the Droid 4 as well because, like the OP, I too use my laptop less and less and my phone more and more. I'll revisit Moto's 4G and the physical keyboard when it comes out.

Last edited:

iGrizz

Reaction score
HTC is my favorite manufacturer. I had an Eris and a Thunderbolt before I got the Nexus. I would have went with the Rezound if the Nexus didn't exist.

t35rk

Reaction score
HTC is my favorite manufacturer. I had an Eris and a Thunderbolt before I got the Nexus. I would have went with the Rezound if the Nexus didn't exist.

I favor HTC as well. Funny thing is though, as the Rezound's screen compares favorably to the TBolt's and definitely the Eris', it is not up to the lcd on my Incredible.

Last edited:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Idk if the original poster is still reading these comments but, the Rezound and Bionic are the 2 best phones IMO. Maybe Razr Maxx too.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
LG has a rep of a lack of support and updates. But what do ya know...they are already prepping for an update to fix a netflix glitch, as announced today. I have two months before my upgrade, so time will tell with this device.

The camera on the LG has very little lag. The pics I took in the store were flat but clear. No "wow" factor with them. The camera on the rezound is great, and its low light performance is really good.
The specs are not quite equal to the Rezound though. Saw this on another site:
  • 4.5-inch 1280x720 display
  • 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 4GB built-in storage, microSD card slot
  • 8MP rear shooter, 1.3MP ffc
  • 1,830mAh battery
  • Android 2.3.5 (Android 4.0 update promised)
  • 4G LTE

Front camera is lower resolution than the Rezound. Internal memory (storage) is only a quarter what the Rezound has. Really the only thing it has over the Rezound is the IPS display, and I am not sure how big a difference that really makes (I'd have to see it in person). It does supposedly have Gorilla Glass.

And the Rezound comes with the iBeats earbuds...even if you dont care about them, that is still like getting a rebate check for $70+. The Rezound is already cheaper than the LG Spectrum to begin with (Edit - No it isnt). It definitely doesnt suck (Frankly, it is the most impressive new phone I have seen from LG so far...it is actually competitive), but I couldnt recommend this over a Rezound.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pyzon

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and advice. Decided to test drive a RAZR MAXX. I'll let you know how it goes.

t35rk

Reaction score
The specs are not quite equal to the Rezound though. Saw this on another site:
  • 4.5-inch 1280x720 display
  • 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 4GB built-in storage, microSD card slot
  • 8MP rear shooter, 1.3MP ffc
  • 1,830mAh battery
  • Android 2.3.5 (Android 4.0 update promised)
  • 4G LTE

Front camera is lower resolution than the Rezound. Internal memory (storage) is only a quarter what the Rezound has. Really the only thing it has over the Rezound is the IPS display, and I am not sure how big a difference that really makes (I'd have to see it in person). It does supposedly have Gorilla Glass.

And the Rezound comes with the iBeats earbuds...even if you dont care about them, that is still like getting a rebate check for $70+. The Rezound is already cheaper than the LG Spectrum to begin with (Edit - No it isnt). It definitely doesnt suck (Frankly, it is the most impressive new phone I have seen from LG so far...it is actually competitive), but I couldnt recommend this over a Rezound.

The display is the reason to consider the LG. It's that much better. I just noticed the viewing angle on my Incredible to be true at any angle. The Rezound is not. I've given my other critiques about its screen, no need to say them again.

Other internals are equal or less on the LG. It's 4gigs of internal storage is a let down, but it's the screen that is the difference.

Radioshack has the LG at $139 on renewal with a 30 day price match. Verizon has the LG at $199, same as the rezound. Where did you see it cheaper? Edit: saw your 'edit'.

Last edited:

t35rk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and advice. Decided to test drive a RAZR MAXX. I'll let you know how it goes.

Test drive them all. Demo the speed test app. See which ones locate a signal the quickest.

Valvoline

Reaction score
yarr, i need to up my grade. Man, freaken love my DX, rooted, rommed, themed and smoooooth. Its' that 4g that i want though. i use bluetooth tethering a lot with my tf101 and have a need for speed. ill be test driving the nex and maxx.

t35rk

Reaction score
Ok..other than the silly personal preference responses, the best phones out by fact and versatility r the bionic and rezound. That's all. U should choose between them two.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

You shouldn't choose based on personal preference?

Umm okay...