Upgrade time! Recommend me a phone.

Vakharn

Reaction score
I don't normally do this, but I'm way behind the times and haven't been keeping up with the latest phone news. My upgrade apparently became available 2 months ago and I didn't realize it. I don't know why that is, since I last upgraded my phone in January 2012, but I'm certainly not going to complain about the opportunity to upgrade early.

My current phone is a Galaxy Nexus, and over the past 2 years I've changed the way I use my phone somewhat and my priorities have changed. The things I want most in my next phone are:

#1: An excellent camera. I was never satisfied with the Galaxy Nexus' camera and I find myself using my phone's camera more often than ever before these days. I want something I can get near point & shoot quality out of, but it has to be Android. I don't like Apple and unless someone can come up with a really compelling argument for Windows Phone OS I'm not getting a Nokia.

#2: Gotta be on Verizon, this is my carrier, I love their network coverage, I don't plan to change.

#3: Better reception than the Galaxy Nexus. I've had no end of troubles with the reception on this phone, as well as the GPS performance. It's not as bad as my OG Droid was but it has been a headache.

#4: Battery life. The Galaxy Nexus has been pretty bad in this regard, and it's only gotten worse over the past 2 years. I need something that will get me through the day without charging.

#5: Screen Quality. I doubt this will be a problem as anything I get will be better than my Galaxy Nexus. As long as it has a good looking, large screen I'll be happy. I do not want a Galaxy Note, it's too big.

#6: Less bloat. I never rooted my Galaxy Nexus because when I tried it with my OG Droid it was a headache and the phone eventually gave me all kinds of problems. I don't have the time to keep up with ROM updates and these days my phone is more a tool than a toy. As such a want a phone which doesn't come overloaded with bloat, but I guess that's somewhat unavoidable these days.

#7 Speed. I don't game on my phone, so frankly as long as the experience is smooth and the phone responds quickly to input that's all I care about.

I know I'm probably asking a lot here, and I have a feeling (based on what little research I've done so far) that the answers are going to just be "Galaxy S4" but if you guys can give me an idea of whether I'd be better holding on a few months for something coming down the pipe, or going for something like the S4 now, or if someone wants to try to hard-sell me on the Lumina 1040 (is it even coming to verizon?) all input is welcome.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Except for requirement #6 I'd suggest the Note3 or G2. The G2 has less bloat and a smidge better specs on the camera. The extra bloat on the Note3 might be something you might actually use though because it's not Verizon crapware bloat it's Samsung bloat that much of actually enhances the user experience of the device.
This might help as well
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=45434

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

RemyL75

Reaction score
Will have to say Note 3. Also, with newer phones, you can Turn Off or Disable bloat apps you are not using (which should address item #6 on your list), but as mountainbikermark said, the majority of the apps that the Note 3 comes with are actually useful and enhance the user experience. Good luck in your search.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention if you look around the forum you'll see both devices blow away your current device for call and signal reception
You mentioned initially the Note would be too big but I added it as a possible because it's in the top 2 as far as abilities and as a former true believer that the Notes were behemoths that'd never work for me I've found them suprisingly and pleasantly ergonomic to use in spite of their initial shock value to see on display.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Last edited:
OP
V

Vakharn

Reaction score
Thanks guys, right now it's looking like the LG G2 (which wasn't really even on my radar when I posted this) will be the phone I buy. It seems significantly better than the S4 in most areas I care about, and the lack of user-swappable battery and upgradable storage don't matter much. It's got significantly better battery life than my Galaxy Nexus has even with an extended battery and I've never filled up the 32gb on my nexus so I doubt I will on the G2.

It also helps that the G2 is $50 cheaper than the S4.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if you're not very pleased once you get it. It's an excellent phone imo.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)