Upgrade time! Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S3?

sr.torres22

Reaction score
Upgrading this weekend and want to get an insight on both hones from current users. All feedback positive or negative is welcome!

swyn

Reaction score
Upgrading this weekend and want to get an insight on both hones from current users. All feedback positive or negative is welcome!

I had the same question myself, but ultimately I went with the Galaxy Nexus. The S3 is sporting some great hardware, but it's stuck on 4.0. Knowing Samsung, you will be really lucky if you get Jellybean in 3 months, and will probably get it early next year. Meanwhile, my Nexus is already rocking Jellybean. I've had a few Samsung Android phones and they do tend to forgo the software updates -- especially after they release a new phone.

With the Galaxy Nexus you are basically getting a bit slower CPU with a mediocre camera (it's not as bad as people say. I find it about equal to the iPhone 4) but much faster updates. With the S3 you are getting a much better camera, faster processor, and SD card slot, and forget about timely updates. Make sure you like the software as is in the store. Coming from the Fascinate I can't stress this enough (it took Samsung 6 months for 2.1 -> 2.2 and 9 months for 2.2 -> 2.3). The S-Voice on the S3 is really a moot point, as Jellybean also has a Google designed similar replacement.

I went with the Nexus as I use the camera casually and don't really use a lot of space on my phone. If you love taking pictures or store a ton of media, then you may want to consider the S3.

Good luck!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can only vouch for the Nexus and it's seriously the best phone I've owned yet. Big beautiful screen, quick, slim, and most importantly ROM factor.

The radios aren't the best from what I hear (can't tell cause I live in Silicon Valley with great signal everywhere) and the stock battery life certainly falls short (a ROM can easily solve this), but I've owned this phone since launch and I still have trouble putting it down.

The SG3 seems like a very nice phone, I have yet to check it out in person, but for me it's about ROMs and there is no better phone than a Nexus for that.

So it really depends on what you're looking for and how you'll use your phone. The day that Verizon announced the Nexus was coming I marked it and just waited til the day they released, after many many marks :D

OP
sr.torres22

sr.torres22

Reaction score
Might have to go with the Nexus. Although, since i have unlimited data. If i buy the phone say on Craigslist...would that still be considered as buying the phone out right? I completely forgot about forfeiting unlimited if i'd upgrade so i decided to wait and ask around.

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I pre-ordered the Galaxy S3 to keep unlimited data, and I haven't looked back. I love the big, bright, colorful screen, the camera is great, call quality is wonderful (I live in Charlotte, NC), and the 4G speeds are fantastic for web surfing and videos.
But yes, to keep unlimited these days, you have to buy a phone that is not subsidized by Verizon...either buy one from them at full retail price, or buy a used one from Craigslist or some other online buy/trade site.

skennelly

Reaction score
The SGS 3 is a great phone, but it's all personal preference. I saw someone posted a screen shot of their upgrade and they kept unlimited according to the confirmation. You can try ordering online and if it doesn't let you keep unlimited, then don't finish the order.

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

swyn

Reaction score
Might have to go with the Nexus. Although, since i have unlimited data. If i buy the phone say on Craigslist...would that still be considered as buying the phone out right? I completely forgot about forfeiting unlimited if i'd upgrade so i decided to wait and ask around.

Yes. You can activate a used phone without affecting your contract or plan features (I have switched phones on eBay 3 or 4 times with no issues on losing my unlimited data). It's only when you get a phone subsidized where they can alter your terms. I also forgot to mention that currently, the SG3 on Verizon has a locked bootloader and there is no workaround for it at this time.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you get the ESN and check it with Verizon before you buy or you'll be out your money and have a nice paperweight to get you through your woes.

wcjeep

Reaction score
I've had my Nexus since the day it came out. I've played a little with the wife's new S3. She also has a Nexus. I don't root the phone. The S3 definitely holds 4g better. It also has way more wifi reception. The camera is light years ahead of my Nexus. It has a 20 pic camera burst. The S3 battery saver function also works great. I might be selling my Nexus soon to move on. I bought the Nexus because of timely updates. With the Verizon gatekeeper it might be a moot point.