Upgrade rooted Moto Droid from 2.1 to 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by shaneric, Aug 23, 2010.

1. shaneric

shaneric New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I rooted my Moto Droid last month and I want to now upgrade it to Froyo (rooted). Is there anything I need to be aware of to avoid screwing it up? All of the tutorials I see are for rooting a stock droid, not upgrading a root. It seems like this would be easier, but I dont want to screw it up.

I used SPRecovery to root 2.1 so it should still be available on my droid, I think?

My current droid is:

Model Number: Droid
    Firmware Version: 2.1
    Baseband version: C_01.3E.03P
    Kernal Version: 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26 #1
    Build number: ESE81 by Pete

Thanks for your help
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The best way to do this is to upgrade using this particular ROM. This is the EXACT SAMES Froyo FRG012B that is going out OTA. The only difference between this and the OTA is this one will not remove your root. It is also a signed Verizon version of the OTA

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...es-frg01b-official-get-here-6.html#post713153

Just download Jrummy's link, change the name of the file to Update Zip. and install with SPRecovery. It's that simple.

I've been running it for about a week now with no issues. Everything works great and I'm not running any custom ROMs. I am oaverclocked to 1Ghz and running P3's 250/1100 kernel.
  3. shaneric

shaneric New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hook-

thanks for the help. I downloaded the rom and will install in now. Just to be clear - should I still Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe Cache (in SPRecovery) before installing update.zip?

Thanks again
    shaneric
  4. lovick5557

lovick5557 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Hook,
    I have a very simular problem to Shaneric. I got the text from Verizon yesterday about the 2.2. However my phone was not affected by it. But I am still running 2.1 and wish to upgrade my rooted Droid to 2.2. I clicked on this link which took me to another one of your discussions where I clicked on and downloaded the link associated with that file. When I installed the Update.zip my phone just went black and was relatively unresponsive. I ended up recovering back to the 2.1 and phone is ok, but Im still not on the FRG01B, the 2.2 firmware update for rooted Droids. What should I do?
  5. lovick5557

lovick5557 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey I was reading the posts about the 2.2 firmware. Were you able to upgrade your rooted 2.1 Droid to 2.2? If so how did you do it exactly. I followed the links from above and it didnt work for me.