Upgrade Questions?

kparks

Reaction score
droid doctor said:
I talked to one of the reps in the store closest to me and they told me they really don't know what's happening on June 28th. So will I be good if I preorder the phone this Friday ? Good as in will I keep my unlimited data?

50% say that u can still be grandfathered and 50% say that because ur activating it after the plans go into effect u will need to change so who knows! Vzw better have a announcement on what they plan on doing cuz if it is the latter ill cancel my order and get the maxx right now!

OP
droid doctor

droid doctor

Reaction score
I really want the s3 even if it means going to a 2gb plan which I barely go over 1gb a month now. But I don't like having a limit then I'm always gonna be browsing with caution to make sure I don't go over the limit.

jgmecarter

Reaction score
kparks said:
50% say that u can still be grandfathered and 50% say that because ur activating it after the plans go into effect u will need to change so who knows! Vzw better have a announcement on what they plan on doing cuz if it is the latter ill cancel my order and get the maxx right now!

activating your phone has nothing to do with your contract. As long as you sign a new contract before the 28th they can not make you go to the share phone. when you ordered your phone you should have gotten a email telling you that your contract had been extended. And it should say that you still have unlimited data as well

jgmecarter

Reaction score
droid doctor said:
I really want the s3 even if it means going to a 2gb plan which I barely go over 1gb a month now. But I don't like having a limit then I'm always gonna be browsing with caution to make sure I don't go over the limit.

Do you have a upgrade available

Lightnspirit

Reaction score
Question...I have two smartphones and a feature phone on my Verizon family plan. One was recently upgraded to a Razr which I love...the other two lines are both now due an upgrade. I was thinking of upgrading the other smartphone line to a Sg3 to keep my unlimited data plan.....only thing is that when I go to upgrade my daughters feature phone...it will be to a smart phone line....am I right to assume upgrading her to a smart phone will force me into the new family share plan??? I know I can't get her an unlimited plan but even if she goes to a 2 GB plan at least I'll get to keep the other two lines as unlimited... Is this my best route out should I bite the bullet and go to the family share? I'm confused...any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

First off congrats on the Razr. My girlfriend just upgraded to the 16GB white one and loves it.

It's been said over and over again... as long as you upgrade before the 28th you can choose to keep the current plan your on. The family share won’t be out till the 28th.

Yes you can upgrade to the SG3 right now and keep your unlimited data on the line that you currently have a smart phone on. Verizon has confirmed this to like every website/forum, twitter, facebook, press release, just Google it.

As far as your upgrade from the dumb phone to the smart phone for your daughter as long as you upgrade before the 28th you can choose from the current GB plans, after the 28th then you will have no choice but to choose from the family share. (because she doesn't have a smart phone right now.. only reason)

TBH, your best bet will be to upgrade now both lines, keep your unlimited data on the smart phone and get the SG3 and choose one of the GB plans currently out for your daughters line. I'd ask her what she plans to use her phone for the most.. ie, facebook, youtube, music? Get an idea on how much you will think she will use and choose the plan above what you will think she will use. (Kids these days always use more).

July 10th needs to come quicker.. I want my SG3...

Yngwie77

Reaction score
Maybe my best option is to upgrade the wife to SG3 so she keeps unlimited...I just upgraded so.im good for at least 18 more months and maybe take my daughter off verizon and get her an iPhone on a separate plan.....does anyone have an all inclusive iPhone plan...prob not right..only att and Verizon have iPhone I believe...or can I buy an iPhone for full price and then put it on my wifes line and keep unlimited...i.know when u get an iPhone subsidized you cant but can I activate my own retail iPhone on an unlimited data line...cause wife uses barely any data...rather have daughter on the unlimited line but shes gonna want an iphone

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yngwie77 said:
Maybe my best option is to upgrade the wife to SG3 so she keeps unlimited...I just upgraded so.im good for at least 18 more months and maybe take my daughter off verizon and get her an iPhone on a separate plan.....does anyone have an all inclusive iPhone plan...prob not right..only att and Verizon have iPhone I believe...or can I buy an iPhone for full price and then put it on my wifes line and keep unlimited...i.know when u get an iPhone subsidized you cant but can I activate my own retail iPhone on an unlimited data line...cause wife uses barely any data...rather have daughter on the unlimited line but shes gonna want an iphone

Until the 28th, you can get your wife or daughter the iPhone or the sg3 at the cheaper subsidized price if you have an available upgrade and you will be able to renew your contract keeping your unlimited. Once you get either phone, you can put them on any line you want (unless you get the phone from amazon or 3rd party retailer). If your daughter does not have a data plan and you put either phone on her line, then you would have to choose one of the tiered data plans... if done before the 28th. If your daughter does not have unlimited now, the only way you would be able for her to have unlimited is to have her take over your wife's phone number. The unlimited is attached to the phone number. Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Yngwie77

Reaction score
Yes confirms what I thought...could be my best move swapping their lines cause i'm sure my daughter will use more data than the wife....Key to it all is if I can specifically swap an iPhone to an unlimited data account....shes attached to her itouch and im sure shed rather have an iPhone than an Android....I should actually get both of them an.iphone since wife is cell phone and electronics illiterate

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes the iphone can go on the line with unlimited data. Sounds like you are going to have a couple happy campers in your household.

thirsty1258

Reaction score
This is still confusing to me. If I upgrade a line that is a dumb phone will they force all four lines to family share Data or will I still have the option to tier their data on the newly upgraded dumb phones

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
thirsty1258 said:
This is still confusing to me. If I upgrade a line that is a dumb phone will they force all four lines to family share Data or will I still have the option to tier their data on the newly upgraded dumb phones

If you upgrade a dumb phone to a smart phone before June 28th, then you will have to choose a tiered data plan (ie. 2gb for $30) for that new smart phone. All other lines and the rest of your plan will remain the same.

thirsty1258

Reaction score
If you upgrade a dumb phone to a smart phone before June 28th, then you will have to choose a tiered data plan (ie. 2gb for $30) for that new smart phone. All other lines and the rest of your plan will remain the same.

Thx how about if I upgrade after.one line is due now the other not for a few months.or should I just add my old Droids to the line to get a tiered plan since I don't have an upgrade for the forth line

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you upgrade a line after June 28th, then you will have to choose the family plan. The only way to avoid that after the 28th is to buy your phones at full price. You could always call verizon and see if they will give you an early upgrade. They have been doing early upgrades allot for people with 3g phones upgrading to a 4g phone.

Lightnspirit

Reaction score
If you upgrade a line after June 28th, then you will have to choose the family plan. The only way to avoid that after the 28th is to buy your phones at full price. You could always call verizon and see if they will give you an early upgrade. They have been doing early upgrades allot for people with 3g phones upgrading to a 4g phone.

They have been handing out early upgrades as far out as 6-8 months early (My girlfriends line was 5 months early) to customers who request the "M2" (manager early upgrade).

I confirmed while doing mine that you can't early upgrade on a pre-order no matter what and you can't early upgrade on the iphone with siri.

You can only upgrade early on a phone thats currently in stock or on the iphones that do not have siri.

I tired and so did a few of my friends, I even got a manager on the line that said he couldn't.

That's why my girlfriend upgraded to the Razr 16GB in white her 3rd choice beind the GS3 and Iphone 4S. She didn't want the iphone without Siri.. girls for ya.