Upgrade question

xXKINGXx

Reaction score
I am eligible for my upgrade from my good ol OG but I have a quick question. I'm considering upgrading to the Droid 4 or one of the other latest and greatest phones but I don't want to pay for 4g. Would I be able to get that phone and tell them I only want to continue my 3g plan, or will I have to pay for 4g.

Any insight is appreciated!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
As long as you just upgrade and don't change your plan to something different you will be fine. They do not differentiate between 3g and 4g data plans, there are only data plans.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yup, I actually just did this not long ago. Upgraded from the Droid X to the Nexus without changing the plan, costs me the same as it did before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

OP
xXKINGXx

xXKINGXx

Reaction score
Well that is some fantastic news! Now just to decide on the phone I want lol

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

ColdFusion71

Reaction score
I'm also considering upgrading from my OG but I'm not sure what direction to go with. I cant decide between the RAZR and Droid 4. I am a big fan of the physical keyboard but the RAZR has the screen size and form factor that I like. I'm just so conflicted lol

beltwaybob

Reaction score
Maybe you don't pay extra for 4G LTE but why do I have to pay the same as someone who has 4G all day long 24/7/365? I barely get 3G.

OP
xXKINGXx

xXKINGXx

Reaction score
I'm also considering upgrading from my OG but I'm not sure what direction to go with. I cant decide between the RAZR and Droid 4. I am a big fan of the physical keyboard but the RAZR has the screen size and form factor that I like. I'm just so conflicted lol

i am in the same predicament lol. im probably going to go with th droid 4 because i just really like the physical keyboard.

doublejack

Reaction score

I'm another one in the same boat. I have an OG Droid as well as a Droid 2 that my sister gave me. I'm up for my upgrade and I really want a 4G phone... but there's nothing grabbing me in Verizon's lineup. I love the battery life on the RAZR MAXX, and the screen is nice and big which I like... but the problem with that phone is the screen quality is AWFUL! I played with one for half an hour and still couldn't get used to how green/blue tinted the screen is, how poor the contrast is at low brightness, and how it just pales in comparison to a lot of other phones out there. When you look at a phone with a really nice screen (example - an iPhone (I hate to admit it, but it's true), the Rezound, & Galaxy Nexus) the RAZR looks like it was made by Fischer Price (more info here - A closer look at the Droid RAZR's screen | The Verge Forums )

Then there's the Droid 4. I like the fact that it's got a keyboard, and the screen - while smaller - blows away the one on the RAZR. Unfortunately, the battery life is inadequate and it's not removable, so I don't view it as a viable option. Plant a RAZR MAXX battery in a Droid 4 and I'd buy it immediately.

I almost bought a Rezound last week when they were on sale for $50, but I just couldn't go with an HTC phone, and it would have cost me another $30 for the extended battery and cover just to make it somewhat usable, making it even bulkier. That's why I ultimately passed.

So I sit here, left waiting for a phone worthy of burning my upgrade on... In the meantime, I'm thinking of selling my Droid 2 and OG Droid and using the money on a Droid 3 or something to hold me over.