Upgrade Question for when Gingerbread comes out

dnap941

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just recently(few days ago) started to play around with Roms and I picked Fission to be my first rom. I am in love with it, but lately I keep hearing that Gingerbread will be released around Christmas.

I am using a Droid X, it's fully updated as we speak and rooted running under Fission 2.4.3. What is the best option for me to upgrade to Gingerbread when it comes out?

When it does come out, will I have to wait for Fission to be compatible with it? Will I have to reroot? Can someone explain to me an easy procedure of the best possible route in order to stay current IF i can't just simply update like I'm accustomed too? Even if I was able to update normally, would this effect fission? haha. So many questions I need answering!

Thanks for your patience,

Dominick

skylordusa1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just recently(few days ago) started to play around with Roms and I picked Fission to be my first rom. I am in love with it, but lately I keep hearing that Gingerbread will be released around Christmas.

I am using a Droid X, it's fully updated as we speak and rooted running under Fission 2.4.3. What is the best option for me to upgrade to Gingerbread when it comes out?

When it does come out, will I have to wait for Fission to be compatible with it? Will I have to reroot? Can someone explain to me an easy procedure of the best possible route in order to stay current IF i can't just simply update like I'm accustomed too? Even if I was able to update normally, would this effect fission? haha. So many questions I need answering!

Thanks for your patience,

Dominick

Hello dnap,

Since you rooted and installed a custom rom you are most likely not going to be prompted to update to the official OTA gingerbread build. I believe the source was released for gingerbread so most likely all the custom rom developers have it already and are already in the process of cooking up there own gingerbread rom. So just give it a little time and Im sure you will start to see the developers putting out there new rom versions built from the gingerbread source.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Gingerbread is on the AOSP servers, so it's already filtering into the ROMs. If you have a custom ROM you will not get the OTA update.

Just keep an eye on the ROMs and when the new Gingerbread-flavored version hits you can bake up a batch of cookies on your phone asap. :)