Upgrade prep

wildbill86

Reaction score
Been reading on here a lot about gingerbread coming out for the DX. I figure the update for the droid 2 and the droid 2 global shouldn't be too far behind. I have a droid a droid 2 global rooted with z4root. I don't have a bootstraper anymore as I sbf'd back to stock recently, and only re-rooted. I didn't figure I needed bootstrap if I wasn't going to rom, overclock, or freeze bloatware. Please tell me if I'm wrong though, still relatively new to androids. My question is however, when gingerbread is officially released, will I have to remove root with my z4root, or just receive the update, and it will do it's thing?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
You can get the OTA update with just root, atleast I was for the .229 to .230 upgrade but I would undo the root just to be on the safe side considering this is a major update.

As for the bootstrap, it never hurts to have it just in case you would want to make a nandroid back up, but OCing has nothing to do with the bootstraper. Try Quickclock. It will auto detect the best OC possible for your individual phone.

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
I did know that I have to have the bloatware. But now knowing I can have bootstrapper and still receive updates, I might go ahead and redownload it. I just didn't want to have to sbf again. So another question. If I nake a nandroid backup now, when I receive GB if I want my root access back before someone figures out how to root it, can I just load the backup to remove GB? I really only use the root access to tether sometimes. I really don't use it that much, just for email, and job searching, but like most, I don't understand why I have to pay for the same data twice to use 3g hotspot.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
Hate to start back up an old thread, but my question still goes along with it. I just read that with gingerbread coming out for the DX's bootstrapper must be uninstalled or the update will crash. Will it be the same for the D2G? And if I delete the app, will it mess anything up, I understand that even with app deleted, clockwork mod will still boot, is this correct?

Sent from my rooted D2G

leobg

Reaction score
Bootstrapper alters system files. Just uninstalling bootstrapper won't allow you update. You need to restore the system files bootstrapper alters. Easiest way to do so is to flash SBF.

slimpirudude

Reaction score
Bootstrapper alters system files. Just uninstalling bootstrapper won't allow you update. You need to restore the system files bootstrapper alters. Easiest way to do so is to flash SBF.

With this being said. Im curious as to what I would do in this senario. I had to sbf couple weeks back. I used the. 330 sbf so am current. Then, I rooted and made backup. Then proceeded to flash angelrom and such. If I restore my nandroid from when I rooted and backedup, could I receive update? Or am I going to have to sbf again?

Sent from my ANGELLIC DROID 2 GLOBAL