Upgrade or no upgrade

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I've got a GS4 and a couple of days ago, I get a popup saying there's a software upgrade to download and do it on wifi. So I trot over to Starbucks (my local wifi isn't happening for some reason) and I sit there for three damned hours to get about 30% of the total (which was 115mb). I couldn't sit there all day so the next day I try the fedex parking lot. Now the download starts again at ZERO!! Are they freaking serious? It's not resumable? Who the hell can sit there for six hours waiting for this. I call ATT they don't know nothing. I call Samsung they tell me to download Kies so I can do the upgrade from my PC. WRONG. It does NOT download the upgrade. So I call Samsung tech support and THEY tell me there IS no upgrade yet from 4.4.2. So what did I down in that 35mb of Starbucks? I'm furious right now; I can't believe the only way to do this is via wifi. That's completely insane.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You don't HAVE to do it via WiFi, that's only a suggestion. Have you tried it via your data connection? The past 5 years across 3 Samsung devices I've never done any of my updates via WiFi.

tap'n on my S5

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
The popup says:

"A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This download will occur over Wi-Fi.

Please make sure that you stay with the Wi-Fi coverage area while the download takes place. This could take several minutes".

Sounds to me like it has to be wifi but how can I do it just regularly?? I'm not going to spend 3 or 4 hours in a Fedex parking lot again to do this.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
THe next window says:

"A software update is available for your device that requires Wi-Fi connectivity for download progress to begin. Connect to a Wi-Fi network?

For a list of free Wi-Fi networks, " etc.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Silly question, but did you plug the phone in after you downloaded kies?

I know Verizon is pushing a small update now, & there have larger ones since the s4 originally released.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
My updates have always said that as well, but you don't need to be connected to WiFi to take the update. Keep in mind these "updates" will come out of your data plan, but if you have it, use your data. 4G is typically faster anyways. (At least that's been my experience)

tap'n on my S5

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Yes, the phone was plugged in when Kies was loaded, but NOTHING in Kies relates to downloading a software upgrade. I found it was for firmware only.

This upgrade was 115mb. Not a minor one.

So how to download it without WiFi?? Also, I was told by someone at ATT that there WAS no upgrade available. So what the hell was that 70mb (incomplete) download I did???

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
115mb is not that big for an OS update and should only take a minute or two tops via 4G. (Assuming you have decent 4G coverage) I recently took the 4.4.4 update on my device (500mb) and it only took a few minutes to download.
Just turn off your WiFi and try again. With WiFi off it will automatically start the DL via your data connection. (You don't have to plug your device in either unless you're under 50% battery)
Good luck & let us know how it goes.

tap'n on my S5

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So under Settings, General, About, Software Update it doesn't give you the option to uncheck Wifi only?

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
"115mb is not that big for an OS update and should only take a minute or two tops via 4G. (Assuming you have decent 4G coverage) I recently took the 4.4.4 update on my device (500mb) and it only took a few minutes to download.
Just turn off your WiFi and try again. With WiFi off it will automatically start the DL via your data connection. (You don't have to plug your device in either unless you're under 50% battery"

What phone are you using??? With my Wi-Fi turned off I get NOTHING. The popup keeps saying it has to be downloaded on Wi-Fi. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

"So under Settings, General, About, Software Update it doesn't give you the option to uncheck Wifi only?"

No. I have a GS4 and there is no such setting. What am I missing here??

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yes, the phone was plugged in when Kies was loaded, but NOTHING in Kies relates to downloading a software upgrade. I found it was for firmware only.

This upgrade was 115mb. Not a minor one.

So how to download it without WiFi?? Also, I was told by someone at ATT that there WAS no upgrade available. So what the hell was that 70mb (incomplete) download I did???

"Firmware" and "software" are the same thing in regards to OS updates. If you noticed a "Firmware" update in KIES, go ahead and try the KIES method, that should work for you.
As for your WiFi, you don't have to do anything special, simply pull down your notification bar and turn it off, you're updates will automatically download via data instead. (assuming your mobile data is activated)
XA6RmA3.jpg

tap'n on my S5

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
"As for your WiFi, you don't have to do anything special, simply pull down your notification bar and turn it off, you're updates will automatically download via data instead. (assuming your mobile data is activated)"

Mine didn't do that, When I turned Wi-Fi off, it did nothing. No download. BUT, problem solved. When I contacted ATT it turns out the tech who install the Uverse setup gave me the wrong information to log onto Wi-Fi at home.

Now, I logged onto Wi-Fi and the download started and finished in under three minutes. Amazing. But it wasn't an OS upgrade. I've still got 4.4.2. But it WAS just over 115mb. Can't imagine what that was.

Is anyone getting a 4.4.4?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Oftentimes carriers release updates specific to their particular device version. This is why different carrier's release updates at different times instead of all at once like Apple does. Verizon pushes out small updates to update their apps (ie: carrier bloat) AT&T, TMobile & Sprint all do the same. Glad to hear you got it resolved.

tap'n on my S5

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
cr6. My dropdown doesn't look anything like yours. Is your phone rooted? Is that why things are different??

dropdown_zps4eecc6ad.jpg