upgrade help

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by kennyg23, Jun 23, 2010.

1. kennyg23

kennyg23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a droid with 2.0.1 rooted with a droidmod ROM. I want to upgrade to 2.1 without losing any of the features that I currently have. Anyone know of a way to do a simple upgrade through an android terminal app or does it invlove installing 2.1 and then rooting that?

2. kennyg23

kennyg23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have a fix or can atleast tell me where to look on this site.

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +859
    #3 kodiak799, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  4. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just what are you trying to backup?

5. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can save your applications with the use of Titanium Backup, but don't save the system settings because some will incompatible with Android 2.1. and just cause you all sorts of nightmares. To my understanding, whenever one changes build versions for instance ESE53 (2.0.1) to ESE81 (2.1) or FRF57 (2.2), a complete data wipe is necessary to ensure a smooth transition. But doing a complete data wipe doesn't guarantee a completely smooth transition. I been on the receiving end of it myself because I too didn't want to loose settings, etc. The only things that I can say will make the transition as smooth as possible without any hiccups backing up the applications and doing a complete data wipe. Once you update to 2.1, then use Titanium Backup to restore all your applications. This in my experience is much faster than allowing your gmail account to restore your applications as it doesn't restore them all.

Of course activate your gmail sync, so that your contacts and I think your calendar can be backed up to your gmail account.