Upgrade eligible?

TBOLT132

Reaction score
I got my TB when it came out in May but I was under my brothers business account. He decided to be an asshole and turned my phone off so o had to go into Verizon and open my own account in July and used my same TB that I had. So that being said do i have a free upgrade since I just opened my own account and used the TB I already have or are they going to make me wait 2 years?
Thanks

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

lazarus2297

Reaction score
not trying to be rude but why don't you check online via vzw my account or call them... I don't think anyone here without access to your account can answer that question for you..

jessemhess

Reaction score
I got my TB when it came out in May but I was under my brothers business account. He decided to be an asshole and turned my phone off so o had to go into Verizon and open my own account in July and used my same TB that I had. So that being said do i have a free upgrade since I just opened my own account and used the TB I already have or are they going to make me wait 2 years?
Thanks

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

You should not be under contract. Just log onto your verizon account and it will show if you can upgrade.

mjones73

Reaction score
Call Verizon. Technically if your brother killed your phone, he should have had to pay the EFT unless it was bought outright. I don't think you should be locked in with the phone you already had and opened a new account in, you will probably have to extend your contract though.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
actually what you did when he broke off the account was the same thing I had to do which is called an "Assumption of Liability" which basically means you agreed to be responsible for the same contract you agreed to when you originally got the phone.

I highly doubt they will let you upgrade at this point but it never hurts to call *611 and ask

wseyller

Reaction score
The only way I could see a problem just using logic without knowing verizon terms. If the brother never paid the early termination fee then I wonder if that thunderbolt would have been allow to be activated on another account. Not sure it works that way. But it was activated, so maybe the early termination fee was settled. Still it shouldn't carry over to the OP's account and I would guess he could upgrade.

To the OP:

Check your My Verizon account online, or call a rep. Or use the My Verizon app and click on upgrade device and it will show you when you are eligible for upgrade.

idefiler6

Reaction score
Like others said: Log into verizonwireless.com, it's right on the main page after log in, will tell you when you are eligible. That or call 611.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
actually what you did when he broke off the account was the same thing I had to do which is called an "Assumption of Liability" which basically means you agreed to be responsible for the same contract you agreed to when you originally got the phone.

I highly doubt they will let you upgrade at this point but it never hurts to call *611 and ask

I agree with this answer your probably stuck, but u won't know for sure till u ask big red

Sent from my Incredible Dos using DroidForums

dlo-htown

Reaction score
Hate to be the wet blanket, but I really doubt you are upgrade eligible.

Similar thing happened to me... I was on someone else's account (an ex-gf) when I switched over from Sprint to Verizon... well, when we broke up, I went in to get my own line.

I was basically creating a new account for me, same as you did. Didn't matter that I was using Verizon before for almost a year, it was a brand new account and I didn't get any benefit of being under someone else's account.

I didn't become upgrade eligible until like... 1 1/2 years later.

VZW_CS

Reaction score
Good morning and thank you for all the helpful replies! If you transferred your line into your own name, (Assumption Of Liability), your upgrade elgibility will transfer from your last upgrade. Meaning, if you upgraded in May 2011, you will be eligible to upgrade January 2013. If you opened a new line of service with a new number, and simply kept the same phone, then your brother would have had to pay an Early Termination Fee for the line he cancelled, and you are able to upgrade at a 2-year discounted price, with a new 2-year agreement. (It will be 2-years from the date you get a new phone.) However, My Verizon may not have the correct upgrade date, as it will have 20 months from the date you opened the account in your name. Therefore, you will have to call Customer Service at 800-922-0204 or dial *611 [send] from your phone, to place an order. I hope this information is helpful! Thanks,vzw_cs

Last edited: