Upgrade Droid Bionic from 2.3.4 to 4.x with root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jaydfox, Aug 22, 2013.

1. jaydfox

jaydfox New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Last year some time, I decided to try to root my Droid Bionic. It was my first time rooting a phone. I don't remember what version of the OS I was on at the time, or which root tool I used, but the root worked. Then an OTA caused my root to break. After researching a few places, I found a different root tool that got my root access back, and all was well. I think I even took some system images using Bionic Bootstrapper or something like that, so maybe I've got something useful saved somewhere. At any rate, another OTA came along and caused my root access to fail again.

I'm currently on Android version 2.3.4, System version 5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US. Superuser keeps saying it's granting root access, but Root Checker Basic tells me "Sorry! This device does not have proper root access". It's been so long since I've tried to do anything requiring root access that I can't remember how to tell if it's really working or not.

Anyway, every OTA since then has failed. I missed out on ICS, and I'm missing out on whatever 4.1.x is called. My job got really busy, and my hobbies changed a bit, so I stopped keeping up with the wonderful world of Android.

Now I want to get back into it, and I want 4.x. I don't care which version, as long as it's at least ICS. But how do I get there? Do I have to factory reset my phone? Will I lose all my apps and saved game data if I do? Or is there a way I can "unroot" my phone (even though the root isn't working, I'm assuming that the system updates know it was rooted?), and then do the OTA?

I'm willing to do this process slowly and methodically, because I really don't want to have to factory reset my phone. Even if that's the "easiest" option, I'm willing to do the work to do a true upgrade from where I'm at now. For example, I'm willing to try seeing if the Bootstrapper still has anything useful to use, so long as I don't destroy my current apps/data. But I can't remember how to use it or if this is even the right avenue to approach this from.

Ideally, I would really like to get root back in the process, but if I had a choice between root access and Android 4.x, I'd take 4.x. This phone is almost two years old, and I can't afford to upgrade it soon, so I'd rather get the performance and feature boosts from 4.x.

So, any ideas?

2. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Use the jelly bean fxz then root it.

3. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Senior Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Current Phone Model:
    G2
    any method other than getting the phone to update itself will cause lost data and/or problems requiring a wipe to fix, which the op is trying to avoid.

Search tags for this page

droid bionic 2.3.4 update

droid bionic android version 2.3.4
droid bionic root
droidbionic root
how do i root my droid x 2.3.4
how to root android 2.3.4
how to update bionic root 2.3.4 to jellybean
root android 2.3.4

root droid bionic

upgrade android version from 2 to4 with rooting