upgrade day! losing unlimited, next best?

OP
lisalisa13

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Not what i meant to do lol! Upgrade went into effect today. Was thinking of pre ordering and occurred to me i have to pick a new plan! Losing unlimited, next best? Or cost effective? Don't watch movies on phone or anything crazy so not really worried about going over. Have family share with husband(doesn't have unlimited) and son who has a simple phone. I would appreciate any suggestions!

BaSHa

Reaction score
I suggest keeping your unlimited, data is only going to get more expensive and apps are going to continue to eat more and more of it! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
lisalisa13

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Can't afford to buy a phone full price, and don't want to keep my bionic!

DevonM

Reaction score
Can't afford to buy a phone full price, and don't want to keep my bionic!

Is your husband or son available for an upgrade? If so just use the other line for the upgrade, activate the phone on it, then reactivate their original phone, and then activate the new phone on your line. Sounds complicated but is supposedly pretty simple and the best way to do it from what I've been told. (If I'm wrong someone please correct me!)

OP
lisalisa13

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Is your husband or son available for an upgrade? If so just use the other line for the upgrade, activate the phone on it, then reactivate their original phone, and then activate the new phone on your line. Sounds complicated but is supposedly pretty simple and the best way to do it from what I've been told. (If I'm wrong someone please correct me!)

My son does but he had a simple phone for starters, also thought Verizon had gotten wise to that, and you couldn't do that anymore

Sal R.

Reaction score
My son does but he had a simple phone for starters, also thought Verizon had gotten wise to that, and you couldn't do that anymore

Depends on the rep helping you. I was able to upgrade from my Droid RAZR to the Note2 and keep my unlimited data. I upgraded my son's dumb phone w/ the Note2 and transferred the Note2 to my line all w/o having to add a data plan to my sons number.

VZW rep made it all happen. Apparently, she was doing the same thing on her plan w/ an extra dumb phone and her unlimited data plan.

Win.

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
Some Best Buy’s will do this too. Also, Verizon has the new 12 month payment plan for phones over $400. Must be done at a corporate store.

OP
lisalisa13

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Depends on the rep helping you. I was able to upgrade from my Droid RAZR to the Note2 and keep my unlimited data. I upgraded my son's dumb phone w/ the Note2 and transferred the Note2 to my line all w/o having to add a data plan to my sons number.

VZW rep made it all happen. Apparently, she was doing the same thing on her plan w/ an extra dumb phone and her unlimited data plan.

Win.

Worth a try i guess, so just flat out ask them to help me "cheat"?

OP
lisalisa13

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Some Best Buy’s will do this too. Also, Verizon has the new 12 month payment plan for phones over $400. Must be done at a corporate store.

Don't think it's worth it to spend that much, especially when i never go over if i didn't have unlimited

BLeClair12

Reaction score
I just gave up my unlimited data as well, but it didn't hurt all that much. I didn't need it in the slightest. I was just holding onto it for the sake of holding onto it.

I switched to Share Everything with 6GBs of shared data for 3 smartphones. I have the primary line, and my parents are on my account with me. They both have iPhones and rarely use data.

It was the only way to really make things work. My dad just recently started a new job, and the company offered to cover his portion of our cell phone bill, but only if he had a plan with unlimited minutes because he had to be one the phone so much. They'll also cover a portion of our data.

Prior to dropping my unlimited, I was average about 200 megs a month, and my dad was using even less. We're on WiFi nearly all the time and don't do anything data intensive. Plus, I'll be getting a check for $70 a month from his company to put toward the bill.

I suppose it really all depends on the cirumstances of your plan. In my case, it would have become more costly to hold onto my unlimited data, and quite frankly, I just didn't need it.

Last edited:
OP
lisalisa13

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much where I'm at too. My husband has never had unlimited and never had home over. Don't think i would either. My son still has a simple phone cause he doesn't want to spend the extra money for a data plan. Guess i need to go in and figure out what is cheapest

J

JohnDroid

I just ordered my phone and paid full retail so I could keep unlimited. They really screwed that up big time... I can get 2GB/Month for $30, or keep my unlimited for $29.99.

What a deal verizon!

kijutsu

Reaction score
I just ordered my phone and paid full retail so I could keep unlimited. They really screwed that up big time... I can get 2GB/Month for $30, or keep my unlimited for $29.99.

What a deal verizon!

Right there is why I haven't jumped over to an S4 yet. Looks like a fantastic phone. But I stream a lot (5 to 10 gig a month) of music via spotify and shoutcast. I'm already shelling out 135 a month to these guys for a single line and a 3 gig per month tablet, and now they want more. I'm gonna ride my Razr until the darn thing blows up in my hand. Then deal with it afterwards. :p

droidworld

Reaction score
I'm gonna ride my Razr until the darn thing blows up in my hand. Then deal with it afterwards. :p

Hahaha thats pretty funny. I use my unlimited data a lot too. I have a bionic but want a new phone. Debating on this one.