Upgrade available is driving me nuts!!!

sal33n

Reaction score
Because my Droid was a Christmas present to me, it was purchased under a different number on our family plan that had an upgrade available. Well My number has had the upgrade available since February and it's really starting to burn a hole in my pocket, so to speak, on upgrading to a newer phone. I have been waiting for something... I just don't know what. The X the Droid 2 look good but do I still hold out for something better? I was thinking of waiting till the 4g phone capable phones start coming out but I don't know if I can wait that long! I love my Droid all except for the damn flat keyboard that I constantly mistype on. I really like the Droid 2 keyboard but wish it had the HDMI out like the X. I wish there was more leaked info on the Droid Pro!

Just ranting! dancedroid

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Droid Pro is a world version of the Droid/Droid 2.

All the hype was just that.

Codiusprie

Reaction score
I would wait till fall to see what is up. That being said, if you continue to wait for the next greatest phone you will be waiting forever. THAT being said, neither the DX, D2 or Galaxy S are impressive to me.

Eschy

Reaction score
i would hold out for the first phone with the tegra 2 processor. Its a 1ghz dual core on a 45 nm die i think it may be a 32nm or whatever the next one is. There is also the OMAP4 getting ready for release but im not sure when. I personally recommend holding out. The A9 architechture is right around the corner. we're talking 5x performance increase minimum over the a8 architecture.
[video=youtube;SjBCs3WgDw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBCs3WgDw8&feature=related[/video]
[video=youtube;Fi0sJt9DP1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi0sJt9DP1I&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
i would hold out for the first phone with the tegra 2 processor. Its a 1ghz dual core on a 45 nm die i think it may be a 32nm or whatever the next one is. There is also the OMAP4 getting ready for release but im not sure when. I personally recommend holding out. The A9 architechture is right around the corner. we're talking 5x performance increase minimum over the a8 architecture.
YouTube - OMAP? 4 Platform (1GHz,full HD 1080p,20mpx)
YouTube - TI OMAP 4 Test Platform Demonstration
Think something like this will be out next year? This sounds awesome, I have an upgrade now (Im 19 in college, but my parents barely care about their phones so I get their upgrades), I got the droid but I'm hoping something tight drops next summer

Eschy

Reaction score
im thinking the earliest we will see something like this is around christmas. But i cant verify that. Although motorola was saying they would have a 2ghz phone by the end of the year i dont see that happening. They recently said they would have an nvidia tegra 2 chip that would be in an upcoming phone. This is probably the one slated for christmas. Again im not sure though but its close i know that much

Reaction score
im waiting to see what comes out next fall/winter...no point in upgrading now if 4g is less than a year away..

BigZig

Reaction score
I would wait for 4g and dual core processors I have early upgrade in Feb.2011 hope they will be out by then.

OP
S

sal33n

Reaction score
Sounds like some good stuff coming out in the not too distant future but this damn upgrade that's been available for the past 6 months has been calling my name! Hahahaha!!!! I think I may be able to hold out. Maybe finally start to mess around more with this one and root it and try other roms. Still stock here. :)