Upgrade available in December... what's next after owning OG, the Moto Droid?

CharlieJ

Reaction score
I bought my Moto Droid A855 3-4 days after they were delivered to the Verizon stores in November, 2009. Now, it's 2 years later and the next available upgrade on our account (4 lines) is going to be for me. I definitely want to stick with an Android OS. [I don't plan to ROM the phone, but might root it -- but that is NOT very important in my decision.]

Things I want:
Good phone (Motorola makes a good baseband radio; my daughter's LG Ally and my wife's BB 8330 can't get a signal sometimes when my MotoDroid has 2-3 bars)
QWERTY keyboard (preferably slider)
5MP or better camera

I know December is a long way off... and new phones will be introduced before then (IE: Bionic), but the three I am considering right now are:
* Thunderbolt
* Revolution
* Charge

None are Motorola's, so I'm debating on which might be the best for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions based on what I have, the features I want and what's available (or will be available by 12/10/11)??

Last edited:
Reaction score
So why isn't Droid 3 on your list? It meets your requirements and none of the phones you are looking at do.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I agree the D3 should be considered. It should also see some firmware updates too along the way.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

davishusband

Reaction score
I love my droid 3!!!! 3g is plenty fast for me! I can skype, netflix, great keyboard, i got insurance for it so if it screws up its their problem. Most the problems you read about the droid 3 right now will be fixed in the new firmware update coming soon.

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my rooted D1 at all!

OP
CharlieJ

CharlieJ

Reaction score
View attachment 40589

I'm good with the D3, too. :D Just didn't list it in my original post. It looks like the phones in this matrix are all pretty much the same, except for their brand, useable minutes and installed SD memory. I'd like the QWERTY slider keyboard, but it looks like they are going away fast -- so I can start learning now, if needed.

Any further thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction score
So 4g is a requirement for you? If not again Droid 3 has the keyboard you want. There are no slider 4g units (yet).

mg8199

Reaction score
I'm due next month. My decision is between D3 or Bionic. Went to the store and played with both. Perused the forums and YouTube. I think I'm going to go with the Bionic. I probably won't upgrade right when I'm due, though. I'm going to see what the Prime has in store. If you ask me, D3 or Bionic.

tek112

Reaction score
I would suggest the DROID Prime/ Nexus Prime if they decide on a name. There are good sourced rumors that it will be coming to Verizon and therefore, not $600. So, 1.5Ghz dual core, 4.5" screen and most likely LTE. Since big red got rid of 1 year contract, I could see this lasting anyone two years.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
You may already be eligible, I bought my :motdroidvert: in late November and I was eligible on 8/14/2011. I'm still biding my time waiting to see whats around the corner.

OP
CharlieJ

CharlieJ

Reaction score
OP here... :icon_ lala:
I took a little break and thought through all the choices. In this economy and with Christmas coming up, a $300+ phone is out of the question. I *might* be able to swing $250, but that's even a little steep right now. Here are my thoughts... and I am definitely asking for your opinions -- as quickly as possible. I accidentally broke my OG Droid this morning, so I have to get a phone right away. :mad:

After making some comparisons, I think :blink: I've eliminated the HTC Incredible 2 and HTC Thunderbolt because of their lower rez screens (800x400). My ol' eyes need better, brighter screens. Also, both have Froyo OS (I assume they can be ROM'd to Gingerbread, tho). LMK if I'm wrong. I want make fair comparisons.

The Moto Razr and HTC Rezound are out of my price range, so I had to nix both of them. :frown:

That leaves the Motrola Bionic or the Moto Droid 3. Looks like the differences there are .3" more screen real estate on the Bionic, 4G vs 3G and $50. BTW, I even considered the dark side, an iPhone 4S 16Gb -- but the screen is only 3.5" (almost a full inch smaller than the Bionic).

So, what say you? Bionic or Droid 3? Or, reconsider the Thunderbolt if the 800x400 display won't be a huge variance?

I live in the Wilmington, NC (regional market) area. I have read 4G is available in that market, though I am actually ~60miles west of Wilmington. If I could be assured of 4G/LTE coverage and know the Bionic is as solidly built as the OG was, I'm willing to dish out the extra $50 to get the faster data speed and larger screen.