Upgrade a cell phone O.S.

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by 69Rixter, Oct 24, 2014.

1. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S
    Evening:

I have a korean GalaxyS that I want to upgrade the O.S. It currently has FroYo 2.2. Before you ask or wonder why I haven't already accomplished the upgrade, please, let me explain. As I stated, this phone is a korean model. Yes, I've acquired it secondhand. Right now, the FroYo 2.2 is about half Korean/half English language.(U following that?) Now, let's move on to the 3 issues this phone has: #1. When I upgrade, I need to be certain the O.S. I choose will be strictly English(American)!! #2. This phone possesses a program(not an app) that accesses local TV/FM radio and I need to keep the ability to access that media with any future O.S. I've read that certain O.S.'s (I think it was after ICS) do not have the ability to use the program that activates the TV/radio?#3. I cannot get this phone to mount in my laptop/I cannot get my computer to mount this phone?? If you understand, then GREAT!!! Your the one I want to deal with. Let me give the phones specs [Samsung GalaxyS Anycall (Korean version) model number: SHW-M110S; firmware version: 2.2; Kernel version: 2.6.32.9; build number: FROYOSK22] If you can help me out, I'd love to hear from you. I desperately want to be able to use this phone to it's fullest.
    Thank You:
    Rick

2. KaosMaster

KaosMaster Senior Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Current Phone Model:
    SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
    There is a stock rom for the device that is updated to 2.3 and you can use Samsung Kies to perform the upgrade. Also I highly recommend that you flash the entire phone and perform a FDR! If you need any answers. .. let me know

3. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S
    Hey Kaos:

Appreciate you responding. First, you should know I'm a novice concerning cell phones. So, been looking around at "how-to's" concerning flash and FDR for this particular phone. BTW~~ flash and FDR about the same thing? OK, you see my #1 concern when upgrading is that I'm able to activate/use the built-in TV/FM radio (not an app). I read that some O.S's are not compatible(?) Know anything about that? BTW, you happen to have an idea where I can obtain a users manual for this particular model? Been around the "net" and so far, have not had any luck! OK, I've got some more reading to do. I'll be in touch!
    Stay Sharp:
    RICK

4. KaosMaster

KaosMaster Senior Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Current Phone Model:
    Hey rick! The software I recommended is from Samsung and may or may not have the feature removed from them. Usually they don't remove features. As for the differences in FDR and flash. FDR wipes I by user data and starts fresh is install, flashing reprogram the entire device to factory states including the operating system. I have an easy to follow guide for backing up and flashing your device using Kies or Odin and am willing to help you step by step thru hangouts to complete everything and help with any problems you may encounter. Will be waiting to hear back from you.

5. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S
    Evening Kaos:

Thanx for the offer. I'll take you up on it, but probably not till sometime next week. Got some things going on this weekend and I'd like to do some "reading/research" on the phone before I attempt anything. BTW, did find a users manual....in Korean!!o_O But, I believe I have a "translation" program on the laptop. Meantime, anything I should be looking at or reading?
    Stay Warm (cause we're freezin' here)
    Rick

6. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S
    Afternoon Kaos:

OK, think I'm ready to take on this Korean phone. Would appreciate you forwarding any information/tutorials you deem I should need. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
    Stay Sharp:
    Rick

7. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    Then first thing you need to do is download Samsung Kies for Windows (not sure if there is a Mac version).

First and foremost: Backup your phone.

Then search for new firmware.

#7 grenefroggie, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  8. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S

9. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S
    REPLY TO GREENFROGGIE:

Thanks for replying and the info. However, I'll have to see if they have a Linux version. I have nothing of importance on the phone to back up, so NP there. I need to ask if you know about the TV/FM radio on this particular phone and if you know whether upgrading will still support it? That's important to me.
    THANX:
    Rick

10. grenefroggie

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    That I do not know. There are very few phones in the US that support TV/FM radio in the phones (to my knowledge). I would imagine it will be fine up to Android 4.4.

11. KaosMaster

KaosMaster Senior Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Current Phone Model:
    Will message you as soon as I get home tonight! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. grenefroggie

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    Okie dokie. I will be around but may not immediately answer.

• Funny Funny x 1