Updating sd card apps

turtle123abc

Reaction score
So I was just wondering if you were able to update apps that you directly install from your sd card. To update apps manually you have to go to the market and go to downloads but since they weren't downloaded from the market they don't appear in there.

alienware777

Reaction score
Tell me... why would you ever install an app from the sd card? Except... well to steal games. Thats the only thing that I can think of for why you want to... You expect us to help you steal things!?

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
Tell me... why would you ever install an app from the sd card? Except... well to steal games. Thats the only thing that I can think of for why you want to... You expect us to help you steal things!?

Makes me wonder how much p2p downloaded music, movies and software some people may have on their computers.

pyro6128

Reaction score
If you installed the app from your sd card, then you cannot update through the market. If you want to update the app you will have to get the new version apk and install that one. Android will tell you that you already have the app and ask if you want to update it. So if you were hoping that those paid apps you got for free will be able to link to the market and you can keep updating them, it wont happen. As you've seen they won't show up on the list. You'll have to just keep finding the newer apk for each app you want to update.

Droids

Reaction score
Perhaps I have used Astro to back up an app (a free app, or all my apps) that I had previously downloaded through the market. Perhaps the developer totally screwed up the app with an update. I choose to uninstall the updated app, and go back to the previous version by installing the apk that Astro backed up to the sd card. Maybe I just prefer to install apps (free, previously downloaded apps) from my sd card explicitly so I won't be bothered by update notifications to those apps.

You have a hell of a lot of nerve to accuse someone of piracy when you don't know the facts.

airborne3e9

Reaction score
Perhaps I have used Astro to back up an app (a free app, or all my apps) that I had previously downloaded through the market. Perhaps the developer totally screwed up the app with an update. I choose to uninstall the updated app, and go back to the previous version by installing the apk that Astro backed up to the sd card. Maybe I just prefer to install apps (free, previously downloaded apps) from my sd card explicitly so I won't be bothered by update notifications to those apps.

You have a hell of a lot of nerve to accuse someone of piracy when you don't know the facts.

No doubt...no1 said anything about stealing...if you can't help some1 with thr question just move the f*** on...i am constantly downloading free apps from other places than the market and would like to know this as well...man u can't post anything on this forum without getn sh*t or being accused of sh*t.

airborne3e9

Reaction score

No doubt...no1 said anything about stealing...if you can't help some1 with thr question just move the f*** on...i am constantly downloading free apps from other places than the market and would like to know this as well...man u can't post anything on this forum without getn sh*t or being accused of sh*t.

alienware...hmmm? that sounds stolen...is that ur company or u just steal thr name...haha...man the nerve of some people

pyro6128

Reaction score
my response answers the question (I install and update apps all the time through my sd card)

Droids

Reaction score
my response answers the question (I install and update apps all the time through my sd card)
Your response implied the OP wanted to update unpaid-for apps that were installed from the sd card. It was the very first post from the OP. How did you come to the conclusion that that the OP wanted to install (illegally) unpaid apps and then update them afterwards?

hwcheng

Reaction score
aTrackDog/aTrackDog (SD) can help to find a version change... the update, yet, has to be done manually...

Reaction score
Makes me wonder how much p2p downloaded music, movies and software some people may have on their computers.

I have about 1.4TB but most is on my external 1TB HD not including software

Anyway back to topic, i have never tried it but ive read titanium backup is able to link up downloaded apks to the market. I believe you have to get the paid version for it to link em and im 99% sure you have to be rooted to use the app.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Your response implied the OP wanted to update unpaid-for apps that were installed from the sd card. It was the very first post from the OP. How did you come to the conclusion that that the OP wanted to install (illegally) unpaid apps and then update them afterwards?

Firstly I was being facetious based on the other post. Secondly, I don't see how that one sentence would alter the process required to update the apps. Did my saying that somehow make the process I outlined not true? Just try what I said, thats the only way to update apps from the sd card.

Pokebreaker

Reaction score

I have about 1.4TB but most is on my external 1TB HD not including software

Anyway back to topic, i have never tried it but ive read titanium backup is able to link up downloaded apks to the market. I believe you have to get the paid version for it to link em and im 99% sure you have to be rooted to use the app.
lol, that was meant to make people think about themselves being possible hypocrites. I've got a 1TB External also, but its half full of "other" stuff as well as my Limewire items.

Just makes me wonder how a person can complain about someone else downloading Paid Apps for free, when they probably download Paid Music, Movies and Software for free over file sharing networks. Just makes me wonder why they feel that Android Applications should be exempt from the file sharing community when nothing else is. Not saying that any or everyone falls into this category, just making a general point that people should think about things before they say it. And if there are people reading this that have a problem with Piracy as a whole and not just for one community, I respect your purity on the matter.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
On a side note, piracy is ok as long as the item in question isn't being marketed anymore. This includes a CD no longer in production or for sale or an app that is no longer available for download. I went and found the full version of Labyrinth since the douche who made it never bothered to put it back up for sale in the Market. I can't talk though; I steal almost every form of downloadable media. It's a recession hahaha :)