Updating CM7 - deprimed, link2sd, etc

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by chmcclellan, Apr 19, 2011.

1. chmcclellan

chmcclellan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In advance of CVPCS (hopefully close) release of CM7 stable for droid, I was hoping those of you a little more familiar than me could explain the process for updating with all these performance improvements I have recently discovered. Here are a few complications I have thought of, but I am really more worried about the problems I haven't thought of

- Will backing up w/ tibu allow my apps linked w/ linked2sd to reappear? Will I need to rerun prime's link2sd script?

- Obviously I'll need to reinstall the deprimed kernel and corresponding MSOC app then re set up compcache, backing swap, etc. anything I could f*** up here?

Thanks all,
    C
  2. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Tibu won't save anything regarding links2sd except the app's settings, which will be useless anyway, since after you flash a rom all of your links will be broken and you'll have to do them all over. I may be wrong (and I hope I am) but there is no way to get the links to carry over. Every time I've flashed a rom, the links broke and I had to re-create each link. Big pain in my arse.

Maybe Godfather can chime in, he seems to be the resident expert in this area. Is this possible?

In general, be careful what you restore with tibu, since it can cause problems with your rom. Don't use it to restore any of your apps and pick and choose carefully what data you restore with it.

Edit: On a side note, you should no longer need prime's MSOC app. Just make sure you install his kernel, then run his "primed" script. Once you've found the settings that work for your phone, use root explorer and edit the values in the 20overclock file found in the /etc/init.d folder. Also make sure that you run his link2sd-preinstall script.

Also, if you've been following Zepp's bulletproofing apps and adjusting OOM's that's a whole other can of worms, but well worth it in my opinion.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you do a full wipe and use Ti Backup to restore your apps they will just be restored to internal memory and you will have to use link2sd to link them again. However when switching to a newer build of CM7 I usually don't wipe data and I can flash a new build without reinstalling any apps (even the link2sd apps). To get the linked apps to appear again you will need to have all of the proper scripts in /system/etc/init.d but I have flashed several new builds without wiping and all of my linked apps work fine. There are several ways to get the proper link2sd script. One way is to use the link2sd update.zip provided by Prime in the 3rd post of his deprimed kernel thread (this installs his custom link2sd script and removes the CM7 05mountsd script that messes up link2sd). I would use CWMR to wipe /system then flash the CM7 update, then gapps, then deprimed kernel, then prime's link2sd update. It sounds like you are using his script already so that would probably be the best way to go.

If you prefer to use the default link2sd script (which it sounds like you don't) you could use a program like root explorer to copy your current 11link2sd script from /system/ect/init.d to your sdcard, then after updating your rom use root explorer (make sure it isn't one of your linked apps or you won't be able to use it lol) to delete the 05mountsd script installed with CM and put in the 11link2sd script back into /system/etc/init.d then reboot and everything should work. Also sometimes I just change out the scripts in the update.zip using winrar before I even flash the latest CM version, so the proper script is installed with the rom. If you have issues report back and I'll try to help you out.

For the kernel setup you should copy your current 20overclock script if you have customized your frequencies and voltages, if not you can just reinstall the kernel and then run the primed script to use Prime's ulv 900MHz settings. You shouldn't have to do anything special to make compcache work if you are using the deprimed kernel.

So in summary if you want to wipe data you'll have to manually relink all of your apps, if you don't wipe data the apps should just come back if the proper scripts are installed. A lot of people recommend wiping data all the time, I usually try not to if I can avoid it but if I have problems I will do a data wipe. Also I have restored lots of apps with Ti Backup and haven't had problems but I guess sbenson has different experiences with it.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  4. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Actually, I've never had an issue restoring anything Tibu. I personally don't see any reason not to use it if everything is working correctly. I just thought I'd pass along the info in case he had trouble, since not restoring with Tibu seems to be the consensus around here.
  5. jerroedr

jerroedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i think these newer builds require a wipe because of framework changes or something, saw that over in the build thread somewhere in the 4000 posts
  6. zachdroid

zachdroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I could be incorrect but if flashing from a 2.3.3 to a newer 2.3.3 wiping most likely isn't necessary. I haven't wiped anything but boot and system for some time now and haven't encountered any problems thus far, knock on wood. If coming from a 2.3.2 build I imagine you would need to do a full wipe due to the frame work changes from the two different versions. If I am incorrect someone please feel free to interject.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Not sure why link2sd can see my /ext2 partition under BB, but not under CM 7.0.2. Kernel limitation? Is there another kernel I can flash that'll allow link2sd to see the /ext2 partition? The only tool I have for partitioning the sd card is ROM Manager (I'm a n00b) and I'd rather not have to go through all that I did to partition again anyway.

Thanks in advance.
  8. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Back to square one. Flashed one of Peter Alfonso's latest kernels and it didn't make any difference so I'm back to the original that came with CM7.0.2.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
download link2sd cm7
link2sd prime script
link2sd pro

link2sd problem after updating cyanogenmod