Updating bootloader and baseband for non-OTA?

AesirX

Reaction score
Anyone know how to update to the newest bootloader (30.03) and the newest baseband (.....7) if you never flashed the OTA? I've constantly kept up with the newest ROMs and never bothered with the official 2.2 OTA, but now it seems like I can't get the newest bootloader or baseband. Since I flashed the full 2.2 SBF using RSD lite 4.8 I can't SBF back to 2.1 (get Err: A5, 70, 70, 00,1F in the bootloader). I'm still on bootloader 30.01 and have tried the 2.1 SBF in both RSD lite 4.7 and 4.8, but neither works. The 2.2 SBF still works fine, but I have no way to get the new baseband and bootloader. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help! Thanks!

bigd73

Reaction score
That's weird. You should be able to flash 2.1 still as the bootloader was not updated. Try posting for help at Rootz Wiki. This is definitely a new problem. It is also possible you got a bad SBF for 2.1 and a different file could help? Of course I'm just shooting in the dark here.

OP
AesirX

AesirX

Reaction score
It is weird... before I used the 2.2 SBF, I had used the 2.1 one several times with no problem.

OP
AesirX

AesirX

Reaction score

Yes, I knew all that. I never ran the OTA update. Problem is, I would like to, in order to have bootloader 30.03, but I can't restore the 2.1 SBF since I ran the 2.2 SBF, which seems strange since the 2.2 SBF didn't seem to change the bootloader. The 2.2 SBF still works fine for me and I'm not bricked or anything, but I don't think it's possible to install the full OTA update inside of 2.2.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you werent supposed to use the 2.2 sbf unless you took the ota update because of different ways the bootloader was signed.

whats the reason you want the new version of the bootloader?

OP
AesirX

AesirX

Reaction score
you werent supposed to use the 2.2 sbf unless you took the ota update because of different ways the bootloader was signed.

whats the reason you want the new version of the bootloader?

Crud... Well, I had heard the new bootloader overclocks better (probably not true) and I would rather be running a bootloader version that was actually released by verizon instead of a leak, in case I need to return it for any reason.

bigd73

Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking about this last night and I think I know what the problem is. Let's try and make the system a clean slate before attempting the SBF. Download Koush's Bootstrap and boot into recovery if you don't have it, make an archive of your current rom and follow the steps below.

1. Select - mounts and storage
2. Format data, cache, system, and boot.

If it won't let you format system, try mounting it first. I believe it has to be unmounted in order to format though.

3. Now reboot your phone and try the SBF.

Let me know how this works out for you.

OP
AesirX

AesirX

Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking about this last night and I think I know what the problem is. Let's try and make the system a clean slate before attempting the SBF. Download Koush's Bootstrap and boot into recovery if you don't have it, make an archive of your current rom and follow the steps below.

1. Select - mounts and storage
2. Format data, cache, system, and boot.

If it won't let you format system, try mounting it first. I believe it has to be unmounted in order to format though.

3. Now reboot your phone and try the SBF.

Let me know how this works out for you.
Sounds like a plan. Think I should do the 2.1 SBF and try the OTA or go straight for the 2.2 and see if that gets me to 30.03? I think I'm leaning towards doing 2.1...

bigd73

Reaction score
If you SBF to 2.2 without doing the OTA, it will not update your bootloader and a few other things. I recommend SBF'ng to 2.1 and then getting the OTA.

OP
AesirX

AesirX

Reaction score
Clockworkmod didn't allow me to format boot. Also, tried sbf_flash in linux... no go, can't get to 2.1, stuck at bootloader 30.01...

v4npro

Reaction score
I was on 2.3.15 leaked and did the full 2.2 SBF because I read somewhere it was suppose to update the bootloader as well as radio and kernel but I'm still on the 30.01 bootloader too however the radio and kernel got updated. Oh well.

OP
AesirX

AesirX

Reaction score
Me too, seems there's a ton of misinformation floating around about these SBF's. It would be nice if someone who had something to do with them like p3droid chimed in.

luv2increase

Reaction score
Anyone know how to update to the newest bootloader (30.03) and the newest baseband (.....7) if you never flashed the OTA? I've constantly kept up with the newest ROMs and never bothered with the official 2.2 OTA, but now it seems like I can't get the newest bootloader or baseband. Since I flashed the full 2.2 SBF using RSD lite 4.8 I can't SBF back to 2.1 (get Err: A5, 70, 70, 00,1F in the bootloader). I'm still on bootloader 30.01 and have tried the 2.1 SBF in both RSD lite 4.7 and 4.8, but neither works. The 2.2 SBF still works fine, but I have no way to get the new baseband and bootloader. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help! Thanks!

That doesn't make any sense. I flashed one of my 2.1 Droid X phones with the full 2.2 SBF OTA, and it changed everything to the newest veresion.

Bootloader went from 30.01 to 30.03
Baseband went from 06 to 07
etc...

Are you sure you used the full SBF and not just the SYSTEM SBF? You couldn't have used the FULL SBF.

bigd73

Reaction score
That doesn't make any sense. I flashed one of my 2.1 Droid X phones with the full 2.2 SBF OTA, and it changed everything to the newest veresion.

Bootloader went from 30.01 to 30.03
Baseband went from 06 to 07
etc...

Are you sure you used the full SBF and not just the SYSTEM SBF? You couldn't have used the FULL SBF.

The only way to tell is by loading the SBF in RSDlite and looking for the Bootloader info. If it's N/A then it is not a full SBF. I've downloaded many SBFs that claimed to be "full" and none of them have the bootloader. Any suggestions? Could you check your SBF and let me know if it has the Bootloader info in RSDlite?

Clockworkmod didn't allow me to format boot. Also, tried sbf_flash in linux... no go, can't get to 2.1, stuck at bootloader 30.01...

Your phone is not allowing a format of boot, but that shouldn't really be an issue as the phone is still running the old Boot Loader. Did you try posting your problem on rootzwiki or MyDroidWorld? Koush or P3Droid should be able to help you out. I don't think your phone is a lost cause yet. Maybe if we actually get you one of these full SBFs then you'll be able to update to 2.2.