Updating a rooted phone?

suthernswang

Reaction score
I have a rooted ally. I am some what new to rooting and how it all works, anyway. They just push an update to the phone and I was wondering would it effect it wrong if I OKed the update with it being rooted?

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

androidanswers.info

gunz.jones

Reaction score
You can update rooted, just not with any roms or other kernels from what I have read so far.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
suthernswang

suthernswang

Reaction score
So I would need to may rom I backed up before I flashed to velocity .3 before I updated?

androidanswers.info

OP
suthernswang

suthernswang

Reaction score
To go back to stock would I just download the rom that I backed up before I ever flashed to velocity?

androidanswers.info

gunz.jones

Reaction score
You can flash back to stock with the backup, but if it's only upgrading the original kernel and software, it may not matter as you're replacing all of that with velocity if you downloaded the full package.

OP
suthernswang

suthernswang

Reaction score
Did some more reading and downloaded with rom intact. Block the update and I rebooted. I was mainly just wanting the notification to go away lol. So its all good. Thanks for the help.

androidanswers.info

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you trying to update the ROM you are running, or you trying to get a system update (OTA)? Getting a system update will usually break root, as most will patch the exploit used to obtain root in the first place. That is why most (if not all) custom recoveries will block OTA updates.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you trying to update the ROM you are running, or you trying to get a system update (OTA)? Getting a system update will usually break root, as most will patch the exploit used to obtain root in the first place. That is why most (if not all) custom recoveries will block OTA updates.

Picked up a phone for someone, the LG Ally, and got it rooted via this method. It had 3 updates it wanted to do and I foolishly took them. Currently it has superuser.apk but no # within Terminal Emulator. I've tried rooting it a few times again, no go. I can't get rid of superuser.apk unless I'm rooted and I can't get rooted again (at least not yet). Tried Universal Androot and it says it is already rooted, though it isn't. Try to unroot with that tool and it says it fails to do so. I think I'm stuck in an in-between zone.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Try z4root from the market. It should allow root and unroot if androot isn't working.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had the phone rooted 30 minutes after I got home with it. 20 minutes later it wasn't rooted any more. Hours later it finally ended up rooted again but I was getting worried it was stuck as stock due to an update blocking an exploit and no way to remove files that now were stuck on the phone itself. The other time crunch was it is for my 80 yr old mother in law, who has dial up and is going home from thanksgiving with a little netbook that is way faster than the 4 yr old PC she currently has. Faster computer and now with the computer tethered to the phone she will have faster internet too.

Bonus: today at Best Buy the phone was free instead of the regular 100 dollar price. Plus Verizon is currently giving back the 10/mo fee for additional phones on the family plan if they have a data plan.

The SuperUserOneClick app did the trick. 3rd app is the charm!

[APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

The 11-10-2010 update to the first post definitely came in handy too as I was looping through the process.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
z4root (the ryanza version) gives the ally root since the update (I think universalandroots exploit was broken with the update)

Droidforums.net appified!